Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Changed Package ID and forgot old one?

I built an App and submited it the App World. Then I developed the app further and wanted to change the name, so at the same time I changed the ID within the config.xml.

Now I'm trying to submit a new update to App World and I'm getting the following error...

File bundle (myapp.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle.

Is it possible for me to find the old ID within the App World vendor account?

Re: Changed Package ID and forgot old one?

To make matters worse I've been reading @ http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/03/package-id-rejected-by-app-world/

It says you need to keep the exact same application name as well as the same signing key. In my case I had changed both.

I'm unsure if I can even get the original signing key(because I got a new signing key when I switched computers), but am sure if I can it will be an additional head ache either way...

[ Edited ]

I was able to get the old signing keys onto my new computer.

However I'm still having problems with the ID error. Stupid mistake on my part not backing up the project in its earlier stages. Not sure if I should give up and delete this app and submit the update as a full new app, or wait and see if someone on staff can over ride the system to fix this.

My Device: BlackBerry Z10

I'd strongly recommend reverting to the original Package ID, updating with a new Pckage ID will result in duplicate applications existing on the device and prevents access to data from the original.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
Philipk

For anyone else looking to fix this issue. I was told by BlackBerry that I could contact App World and they could wipe the application ID for me.

They will, but it will still result in duplicate applications and is typically only completed if you lost your old keys. As you have yur old keys it may not be done for you and would provide a much better end-user experience to just use the original package ID.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
Philipk

@gbeukeboom Thanks for the reply but you have provided no additional information.

Right from my first message I have made clear that I know the ID must be the same. So I was wondering if this would be accessible anywhere from the vendor portal.

Did you think that you telling me I should use the original ID would help me remember, or that I did not know I should use the original ID?

Sorry, missed that swapping from Twitter to the forums. Innocent mistake and first time where the dev has his keys but forgot his package ID for me :smileyhappy:.

Do you have a backup of the file from your device from when it was originally uploaded? If not you can ask the App World folks to get you the current MANIFEST.MF file from your app so you can get the package ID information.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
Philipk

Resetting the App ID really is a horrible solution.

After resetting the App ID, I deleted the app off 2 blackberry phones I have here. Now when I hit download on App World I get "There was a problem during installation. Please try again".

I even made new BlackBerry IDs for one phone to see if that would allow it to be downloaded but still no luck.

If anyone else has this problem, you might just be better off deleting the whole app and upload as a new app.

"blackberry phones"? The Package ID should only affect PlayBook apps at the moment, current BlackBerry smartphone app uploads aren't affected by this. Could you clarify?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!