Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Dev Alpha
My Carrier: VIVA Kuwait

Confused indie developer requires advice

Hey all,

I know this might seem like a redundant/already-discussed subject, but I've been struggling to find some inspirational opinion.

I've mainly a background in objective-c (not as a job nor as a CE/CS graduate) because I'm currently developing my 1st iOS app. Of course with objective-c come C and a very basic knowledge in C++. 

I have no web development background.

And I have a dev alpha device waiting to be exploited (hacked or messed with or whatever) never mind...

What do you think I should target? Cascades? Native? Or dig in the WebWorks thingie?

Thanking you in advance and an un-belated happy new year.

Developer
My Device: Z30, Z10 LE, DevAlpha C, PlayBook

Re: Confused indie developer requires advice

If you're going to develop applications, I suggest starting with Cascades as you already have C background. It's based on Qt, so you'll have to learn Qt basics, but the learning curve is not too step.

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
New Contributor

Do you think I should head to Qt website or would you prefer checking random tutorials? In other, is the Qt website well documented (properly written and understandable)
Coming from an iOS background, I really like how Apple document their stuff if you know what I mean.
Developer

I also have iOS background. :smileyhappy:

Qt documentation is of very high quality, but I think it's better to start by reading a book. For example "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4", it's available for free.

You'll need only the basic stuff: object lifetime management, signals and slots, strings, containers etc.

After this check Cascades samples and documentation. Cascades have it's own set of widgets and the layout management is different, but you can use database, networking and other non-GUI Qt libraries in Cascades apps.

New Contributor

Thanks a lot, I'll try my best. Wish me luck :smileyhappy:)
Developer

Good luck! :Clap: