Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
AwesomeDev
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: N/A

Core OS Dev Alpha A 10.0.9 Not Reaching full 60fps - Laggy?

Hi everyone,

Is it just me, or does the core OS (homescreen, active frames, some apps) not reach the full 60fps that BlackBerry 10 is supposed to reach? I (accidentally) found some dev settings, just swipe from the top left corner of the device, and you can track fps.

I hope this is a known issue at RIM: the homescreen only reaches 20fps at most. However, BBM is super-smooth: up to 60 fps.

Your thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Developer
raffi
My Device: Z10 & Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Core OS Dev Alpha A 10.0.9 Not Reaching full 60fps - Laggy?

Yes, it looks like the Dev Alpha B has some beefed up hardware specs that the Dev Alpha A cannot keep up with. It's unfortunate because this means we won't really get the true benefit of having the device vs a simulator (since it's usually a better indicator of real world performance).

I'm also a bit concerned that the PlayBook may also have some lag when it gets updated to BB10 next year since the Dev Alpha was probably made with similar components... Only time will tell, though.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
bzubert
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Core OS Dev Alpha A 10.0.9 Not Reaching full 60fps - Laggy?

As mentioned during the keynote, the Dev Alpha A and Dev Alpha B are near identical and for most practical application development purposes, the differences will be imperceivable.  However, some of the slight differences do include minor deltas in GPU. 

Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.