Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Regular Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: verizon
Accepted Solution

Debug on Device??

Newbie here. I'm finally able to debug on an actual device, 9330 which shows:

6.0 Bundle 2333 (v6.0.0.524, Platform 4.4.0.438)

I'm writing apps targeting the 5.0 SDK. I assume from the above that the device itself is release 6.0.0.524, is that correct?  So where do I get the specific simulator for it?  None of the Curve 9330 last 4 digit simulators match. (I'm trying to eliminate all the "can't find debug file" nonsense! Are there any detailed white papers on proper on-device debugging?  Also, I'm trying to use Eclipse.

Thanks in Advance!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Debug on Device??

All available BlackBerry smartphone simulators are available for download here:  http://us.blackberry.com/developers/resources/simulators.jsp

There may not be a simulator release for every version available for download.  But we are continously adding more, so you can keep an eye on that page for updates.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Regular Contributor

I've pulled the closest simulator down and can sort of debug the app. However, I am NOT a fan of developing on simulators. I prefer to develop directly on the device (Curve 9330). My attempts at this quickly ran into the problem of NOT being able to display object property values. (I am using Eclipse). Does the BB JDE support on-device debug inspection of objects/properties? (I am NOT interested in system.out.println!). To rephrase the question:

What development environment will allow for on-device debugging that supports breakpoint step through and will display objects/properties? My preference is Eclipse and I need to support 5.0.0. (Is there a URL or white paper on this for us newbies, I can't be the first guy bumping into this?)

Thanks in advance!

Both the BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse and the BlackBerry JDE support this, but they do need a matching BlackBerry smartphone simulator to be installed (which contains the required .debug files).

Mark Sohm

Regular Contributor

Need a bit more clarification: My Verizon device shows 6.0 Bundle 2333 (v6.0.0.524, Platform 4.4.0.438). I show only one simulator for Verizon 6.0.0.431. Are you saying that the 6.0.0.431 simulator would/should work with the v6.0.0.524 device? (This goes to my earlier comment above about not finding precise simulator versions). I.E Do all 4 simulator version component values need to match the device's in order for device debugging to display objects/properties?  Thanks in advance!!

The version numbers must match exactly, however the carrier does not have to be the same.

Often simulators are released as "generic", which apply to any carrier with the same version.

That being said, there may not be a simulator available for every version released.  We do continue to make more simulators available on our web site.

Mark Sohm

Regular Contributor

Final questions:

1. If I want to develop an app that will run on 5.0 as a minimum and I want to debug it using a simulator only then I can install/use any 5.0 simulator, correct?

2. If I want to debug the same app on a specific device then I still need to install a simulator with exactly all 4 segments of the version the same as the device's, correct? (It seems a bit odd to install a simulator when I'm not going to use it).

3. Therefore, until a simulator with all 4 segments the same as the device's is available, I can NOT debug on that device, correct?

Thanks for your patience!

Correct on all points.

Note that you can see System.out.println statements without a matching simulator.  But most other debugging features do require it.

Mark Sohm