Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Regular Contributor
My Device: Developer
Accepted Solution

Debugging on Device Question!!!

Newbie again. Debugging my Java app with my new Eclipse Plugin 1.5.2 on win7/64 and loving it so far and I've been using a 9330 simulator. I implemented a new program feature which works fine on the simulator but when I package the app and deploy on a 9330 device, it blows up with an 'index out of range' error. In order to trouble shoot this, I just use the 'Debug/Blackberry Device' option and set breakpoints in my program code. This allows me to step through it and is just fine. I found that the problem is on my side of the fence (design/code) but when I am debugging on the device itself I cannot see the values of objects/properties, I get '<details unavailable - not supported by VM>' when I try to INSPECT an object.property.

The big question: Is it possible to debug on a device and see all the object.property values as we step through? If so how do I do it?

Thanks in advance!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Debugging on Device Question!!!

Yes, this is possible but requires the .debug files for your BlackBerry Device OS.  When you started debugging you should have been prompted to download debug files.  Did you say yes to that?  If so it should automatically download the required files.  If you clicked No, you won't be able to use those debugging features.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Regular Contributor

Mark,

Yeah, I remember something about this from when I started this project last year. (Back then I was using the 1.3 Eclipse Plugin). You had confirmed that the debug files needed are contained in the corresponding simulator and that if I there was not a simulator with all 4 release numbers then I could not inspect object data. (I found my original post over the weekend). So... I'm pretty clear on it now from your response.

I do have have one other question on this subject. I notice that this forum does not get the traffic that the 'Java' forum does. I need to post another issue directly related to this topic: Can't get sample app to run/debug on 8530 actual device but it runs fine on 8520 simulator. Do you have any objection to posting the same issue on both forums? I will be posting my issue later this afternoon and I'm desparate for a solution.

Let me know if double posting is okay. I'll close this thread out then.

Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

NOTE: Typo. should be 8530 simulator!
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Best to post in just one forum.  Moderators will remove double posts.

If it's a problem with a Java app, no issue posting in the Java forum.  

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker