Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32gb
Accepted Solution

Dev Alpha simulator wont enter development mode

I've gotten the SDK all set up and put together a small test program.

When I go into the VM and load the Dev alpha simulator it shows no Icon for DEV mode.

I follow the directions at least try to (Its asks me to goto the top right Icon which seems to flickr in and out) and asks to goto settings, which is the only icon without a grey box behind it, nothing happens just goes to main screen) so I use the settings icon that is on the main page. Go trhough menu to security/dev mode/ turn on dev mode and no password promt. When i return to main screen no Icon for dev mode is displayed and the SDK wont find it.

Just when i thought I was making some headway.

Any thoughts?

My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900, Dev Alpha B, Blackberry Playbook

Re: Dev Alpha simulator wont enter development mode

I think you should do a clean reinstall or start the VM from scratch. Sometimes there will be bugs of this form.

New Contributor

I actually reinstalled all 3 pieces  from scratch just before I posted on the forum. I thought I might have just accidentally input some setting wrong. Maybe Ill do it again this afternoon. 

Is there any way to use the playbook as a testbed, I have just the regular retail one. I would prefer the Simulator though, pretty slick on 2 screens.

You can use your playbook as a testing device. But it has to be webworks, AIr or an android app. You cannot use the playbook to test native or cascades apps because it does not run BB10. 

For Webworks:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/loading_your_app_to_playbook_1866988_11.html

For Android:

http://developer.blackberry.com/android/documentation/running_unsigned_applications_using_a_debug_to...

Hope it helps. And I would also try to install the new VM for Beta 4 just because it is the updated version.

New Contributor

You know what, the VM ware asked me to update as soon as i installed but I thought it was just being rediculous considering I just downloaded it yesterday. Ill try updating and see if that helps.

Thanks, Ill let you know if it worked in a few hours after lunch.

sure do! And good luck! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
My Device: playbook

The simulator should be in development mode by default. I would suggest the reinstall (might as well update to the latets version as well). If that still doesn't work, it mihgt be your computer; I know some computers don't support virtualization software

New Contributor

Finally got it working. I guess I downloaded the SDK and Simulator the day before they updated them, as soon as I downloaded the new beta 4 sdk it fired right up.

Thanks alot guys, im sure Ill have more questions shortly.