Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: DevAlpha not updating on Desktop (Bundle 33) - 7.1.0.32

Not sure if Tim looks more at this or his mentions on Twitter. I sent this to him a little earlier, not sure if it offers any hints: http://pastebin.com/TCkmyneJ

It's the log for AutoUpdate, the program that actually checks for updates.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
greenback
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

By the way, I believe the update is working now. I am using a Mac. Its downloading the software.
Contributor
nikog21
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900 and BlackBerry Dev Alpha

the beta dm is available for the mac/? i was under the impression that you needed a pc

New Developer
Loomist
My Device: PlayBook / Dev Alpha

[ Edited ]

Great news!  I have tried everything to get this to update and finally got it working using some suggestions from various posts.  Here's the environment: Windows 7 x64, BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha OS 10.0.4 build 197.

Here's what I did:

0. Disconnect BB Dev Alpha from PC and restarted the device.

1. Uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Software.

2. Delete all directories in Windows associated with BB Desktop. Ie - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion", "C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion", etc.  Deleting the SDK wasn't necessary.

3. Launch Regedit and did a search for "Research in motion".  I deleted every registry entry I could find that came up, with the exception of the SDK.  The obvious ones are HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Research In Motion and HKCU\Software\Research In Motion.  PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU COMFORTABLE EDITING THE REGISTRY!!!  There were lots of network device driver references to delete as well.

4. Restarted Windows.

5. Installed BB Desktop 7.1.0.32 (the last beta build before today's) and launch it post installation.

6. With BB Dev Alpha still disconnected...

From Storage and Sharing section, changed USB Connections from Auto to Windows and enabled File Sharing with the same password as everything else on the device.

7. Enabled Development mode.

8. Plugged in BB Dev Alpha.

9. Windows attempted to give it a driver and didn't do a good job - went into Windows Device Manager, right-clicked on the failed network device driver for BB Dev Alpha and selected "Update Driver Software". I then selected "Browse my computer for driver software".  Then select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  It should then list the proper driver, so click Next.

10. Once that driver is installed, BB Desktop recognizes the device and will come up with the Update notification.

11. After it is updated, keep the device plugged in until it is done restarting.

Voila! You should now be updated.

:wq!
Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified

"i m sure most of you also develop for other platforms as well and you know first hand this would never happen."

I almost fell of my chair reading that line. :smileyhappy:

The fact is that no commercial software is perfect. The more you test software the better it becomes. 

It is theoretically possible to generate mathematically perfect software, but if RIM were to do that, they'd be releasing BB10 in 2112 not 2012.

You've been given the development tools, the device, the means and the information on how to develop and you whine because a promised update is a few hours late. 

RIM's mistake is in publishing anything about the update. If they'd said they were gradually releasing the update we'd have sat patiently and waited to be updated. I'm afraid they still don't quite get how to manage a software release.

Whenever I commit I always always underpromise. It's the only way to look good, and the listener rarely has a clue what I'm actually doing. I'd rather surprise than disappoint. But I certainly wouldn't critisize someone for being late by a few hours. 

Developer
greenback
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

Yes, go to download link. https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalphas/update

Desktop Software
2.4 Bundle 15 up now (68 Mb)

:smileyhappy:
Contributor
nikog21

what are you talking about? i dont care if the software wasnt complete. i care about how incompetent this company is that it cant push an update to 3500 devices ....dont be blind man.  and btw the update itself is extremely good. you cna find universal search and also you can see signs of rims siri competitor(if the update worked for you hold down the middle volume key ) ..i am knocking them for being ansolute sad and not being able to get an update out the correct way and not mention 12 hours later and they have no solution,.

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The server infrastructure team is continuing to investigate the issue.  Trying to figure out why some devices are updating and others are not.  Scouring logs from the unsuccessful device upgrades looking for patterns.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
nikog21

appreciate that 

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

There are hints that the new Mac installer is working for some. Trying it now myself...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!