Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
scanan
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Does a SMS app need permissions or signing to send text messages?

[ Edited ]

Does a SMS app need permissions or signing to send text messages?  I have used the SMSDemo app on my phone and it works.  I am trying to add text messaging to another app but I can't get it to send them out.  For some reason, the thread keeps dying.  Any suggestions?

Steven

I didn't notice that I was posting in the Testing and Deployment section.  I have posted this message again in the Java section.  I don't see how to delete this one so I guess it will stay on.

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Does a SMS app need permissions or signing to send text messages?

To be honest I can't remember now, but run sigtool.bat with your compiled COD to see if there are any "required" fields. If so, the application will need signing. Otherwise, run the debugger and if you get "controlled access violation" then the application doesn't have the necessary permissions to do the task.

Scott

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scanan
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

In ths sig tool, there are 2 keys listed as optional in the SMSDemo app.  So I would assume that they are not required for my app.  However, I sign everytime because that app uses bluetooth as well.

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Yes, optional means just that - it's not required.

Using the debugger is probably the next best step.

Scott

Please use plain text.