Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
SeattleTom
My Device: Playbook

Exported release build crashing in appworld testing, but private builds (both debug and release) work

What can I do in this case? This is an app that has been released and was working in previous versions (built with NDK 2.0.0), but I have updated to the latest NDKs - BB10 10.0.0.9.386 and Playbook 2.1.0.   Could having both NDKs on the same machine be causing a problem?  Both versions work on my Dev Alpha and the 2.1.0 builds work on my Playbook. I have done many clean build and even setup fresh projects,  re-submitted my app 4 or 5 times now, but it keeps getting denied with the message "When I tap your application icon, it fails to launch and does not respond."    It seems like it could be something with the signing process or with the bar-descriptor.xml file, but I don't see anything wrong.

thanks for any help,

~Tom

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Exported release build crashing in appworld testing, but private builds (both debug and release) work

Have you loaded the BAR file you are uploading to App World on your BlackBerry PlayBook?  Does it work there?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor
SeattleTom

Re: Exported release build crashing in appworld testing, but private builds (both debug and release) work

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.. I didn't try it until I read your post..  I didn't know I could run the export build - I thought it still had to be signed by RIM or something else had to be done to it at appworld.  But I tried it just now and it does crash just like the appworld testers said it was.. I am getting an error 12..  Does this indicate that there is a problem with the bar-descriptor.xml file?  What can I do to debug it?

thanks!

Tom

MSohm

First step is to verify the application was signed correctly.

How to verify your BAR file is fully signed

Mark Sohm

Contributor
SeattleTom

Ok the files seem to be there and I ran the tool and all I get is "Info: Bar verified." 

MSohm

Ok, that's good.  Are you using the same workspace in both the BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook Native SDKs?

Have you tried the BAR file on both devices (assuming you have a Dev Alpha)?  Does it fail on both?

Is the application targeted at both OS versions?  If so, how are you doing the separate builds (different projects, changing targets, etc...)?

Mark Sohm

Contributor
SeattleTom

I tried the .bar on both devices and it fails on both..

At first I was using the same workspace and the same project, targetting 2.0.0.. At the time I had 2.0.0 and 10.0.0.4 and the build would run on both since I am not doing anything bb10 specific in the code yet.  One of those builds I have submitted at appworld for the Dev Alpha and it was accepted and showed up in the appworld app.. After the 10.0.0.9  OS release though my app was removed (I think because it wouldn't work anymore because in 10.0.0.9 they removed the Myriad Pro fonts that I was using)

So I upgraded to 10.0.0.9,  changed my code to look for Slate fonts, targetted 2.0.0, made a build and tested it on both devices (not with the export .bar though since I didn't know I could do this) submitted to appworld and it was rejected..

I thought that maybe something happened with my environment when I updated to 10.0.0.9 or that I had to update to 2.1.0 too, so I uninstalled the 2.0.0 NDK and installed 2.1.0 .. In the 10.0.0.9 momentics IDE I targetted 2.1.0, made a build, tested an both devices again, submitted, rejected again..

Next I thought maybe there is a problem with targetting the builds this way and so I set up a new project using only the 2.1.0 momentics IDE, built it, tested it, submitted only for playbook, and it was rejected again...

Contributor
SeattleTom

I think I might be getting somewhere - I tried building with the 10.0.0.9 IDE targetting 10.0.0.9 and had the same problem - the export build crashes. But the first time I ran the regular release build though it crashed with an "Unable to determine returned PID from launch." message in the IDE.. I re-ran it and got a "Failed to create application process: Not enough memory" message.  The debug build runs, but maybe I am running out of stack space on the release build..

Contributor
SeattleTom

I think that was it - I can run the export release build now after moving an array that I was allocating on the stack to the heap.. I will submit it to appworld again and hopefully it will be good to go now.

Also - this might not be the right place to ask, but I am noticing that my app is running a lot slower now on the dev alpha after the 10.0.0.9 update.. I am noticing it mostly in the UI when scrolling.. It is not consistently slow - it almost seems like it is being throttled and then sometimes suddenly it runs fast and smooth for a while and then goes back to stuttering.. On the playbook it just runs fast always. Is this a known problem with this build or is there something that I need to add now to my rendering loop? It seems like some of the other native apps do this too somewhat but not quite as much as mine..

thanks for the help!

Tom

MSohm

Glad you were able to fix it up.

Do you have a Dev Alpha A or Dev Alpha B?  The Dev Alpha Bs have a quicker processor and quicker graphics acceleration.  This blog post talks about the differences in hardware.

The 10.0.9 update is more optimized to use the new graphics chip on the Dev Alpha B, which resulted in things being a bit more sluggish on the Dev Alpha A.

Mark Sohm