Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.

Momentics 2.0 doesn't pair with Simulator downloaded from another source

Hello there,

I always have problems pairing with Simulators. Last time was with Mac OSX, now it's Windows 8.1.

I'm using Momentics® IDE for BlackBerry Version: 2.0 Build id: v201310251603

Host: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

Using VMware® Player 6.0.1 build-1379776

The Simulator version is BlackBerry10Simulator-Installer-BB10_2_0X-1791-Win-201310030337

1. Start Momentics 2.0
  2. Device Dropdown menu > Manage Devices...
  3. Simulators tab > Begin Simulator Setup
  4. Pair a simulator downloaded from another source
  5. Select and Open the file BlackBerry10Simulator.vmx
  6. A message says that the Simulator opened on the background. I start VMWare Player and boot the BB10 Virtual Machine. Nothing is detected.
  7. I manually enter the IP of the Simulator and click on Pair.
  8. Click on the Connect button of the added Unknown Simulator. Some progress is shown but after a few seconds a problem popup is displayed.

Here's a screen shot:

simulator-error-win81.jpg

What can I try to solve this? I really need to use the simulator this time because I don't have a Z30 device and my customers are not happy that my app is not compatible with the latest device.

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Momentics 2.0 doesn't pair with Simulator downloaded from another source

Do you have any firewall or VPN software running that could be blocking the connection?  Have you tried both NAT and bridged mode (VMWare Player network settings)?

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.

Re: Momentics 2.0 doesn't pair with Simulator downloaded from another source

Hi Mark,

I didn't know that a Firewall or VPN could block connection between applications that are running from the same machine, in our case from Momentics to VMWare Player. What I suspect is that some other applications might be already using some ports. I'm not a Windows 8.1 expert but I don't think I have any VPN running and I just use the default Windows Firewall. But I usually give full network acess - that popup alert from the Windows Network Manager thing - to developer tools when I install them.

I'll try between NAT and Bridged again.

BlackBerry should provide some kind of online device access service for developers. Something like Samsung and Nokia offers already. 

I'll get back to you once I have done some more tests. Thanks for the support.

Cheers!