Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

On Device Testing - does BB need to be activated or unlocked?

I know this is a basic question, but we're looking to test our applications on multiple devices in the most cost-effective way.  The applications do not require any data connection or gps.

If you buy a used Blackberry (from an individual, i.e. off of Craigs List or Ebay), does it need to be unlocked or do you need to activate it in order to load applications from your computer using the USB?  Can you just blank it and reinstall the OS, and be good to go?

I know that Verizon doesn't require sim cards, but can you use the device without any connection?  How about AT&T - is there any way to use the device without a sim card?

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: 9630, 9700, 9800
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: On Device Testing - does BB need to be activated or unlocked?

[ Edited ]

Yes, for instance I have a 9700, and a 9800, neither of which have a SIM card and they have not been registered on the network, but since both have WiFi, I can download apps OTA and test aspects - for instance, GPS connectivity does not require network connectivity. IIRC, I had to hack the 9700 with a special servicebook to get browser connectivity via WiFi, but the solution is "out there".

P.S. both are unlocked, but I don't think that matters.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

Re: On Device Testing - does BB need to be activated or unlocked?

you might also consider possibility to leverage cloud mobile services such as DeviceAnywhere and PerfectoMobile. They are quite expensive to use but you can register for trial hours. They have a wide range of bberry devices to try out.

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!