Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
pabloisback
My Device: Q10

Our signed app (bar) can be deployed to Q10 but can not run

Our BB10.1 app nicely deploys and runs on the Q10 phone over USB from the Momentix IDE (with the debug token).

The same app signed on our Jenkins server - that produces the bar file, I run blackberry-deploy on the command line with that bar file and the app icon appears on the Q10. However when clicking the icon, the app immediately disappears immediately with no .

(The local app from the IDE will run fine)

So does this 100% mean it is definitely signed wrongly?

Any ideas? Because it appears to sign correctly and with the correct author.p12.

Also is there a log facility like there was on 9900 LGLG (I Googled this first but could find any relevant results)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Retired
PBernhardt
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Our signed app (bar) can be deployed to Q10 but can not run

There are a number of things that can break an app when it's in release mode. Are you modifying files in the assets folder? That's read only in release builds. Did you base it on an old project before we enabled the Zygote process (http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/01/cascades-release-build-fix/)?

The event log viewer doesn't exist on BlackBerry 10. You can get logs when connected via the IDE, but you won't get anything useful from an app running in release mode, unfortunately.

The app shouuuuld be signed correctly if it actually made it onto the device in the first place. Could be some sort of permission error as well?

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pabloisback

Thanks for your comment -

The asset files are not being modified by the app, they are static at compile time. Do I have to explicitly make them read-only files? It should be no problem to do that.

We first created the project about 16th July. We were working mainly in 10.1 tooling but upgraded to 10.2 IDE recently. We had to change the project to point to 10.1 as the Q10 phone only can get 10.1 OS in the UK so far.

Looking at your link, the proejct already has:

Q_DECL_EXPORT int main(int argc, char **argv) {

Obviously the app runs from Eclipse straight on the Q10 but the signed bar - when I push it on with

(blackberry-deploy -installapp -package identity.bar -device blackberry-d*** -password ********)

the icon appears but that app never starts up properly.

How do I find out if it is a permission error? And how did it work from Eclipse it the app needed more permissions?

Is it a problem to uninstall the Eclipse dev app and push the signed bar on - does that confuse the permissions?

The permissions we have are in bar-description.xml

<permission system="true">run_native</permission>
    <permission>access_shared</permission>
    <permission>access_internet</permission>
    <permission>read_device_identifying_information</permission>
    <permission>access_pimdomain_messages</permission>
    <permission>access_sms_mms</permission>

because we just need to talk to our web service and get the unique id of the device, and now read some SMS.

Is there any other permission file we could have forgotten?

It will be great to have this working today so we can test it on phones later then we can make the app available for a large customer soon...

thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Is this a duplicate post with tennismans on the Testing and deployment forum?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Signed-Q10-application-not-running/td-...

I find it hard to believe it isn't as you both describe exactly the same signing method.

Please don't multiple post as it just wastes eveyone's time if so.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pabloisback

[ Edited ]

Hmm I believe a colleague has posted at the same time regarding the same project. It is clear just now, so sorry if that caused any issue.

It would be great to have it run on the phone to give to test, and then we can get it to the customer.

I appreciate your help.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

I would suggest just filling all the classes constructors and destructors with log outputs and see how far you get.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

There shouldn't be any problems with sideloading the release bar file (at least not from the permissions angle).

Short of uploading to the Vendor Portal and sandbox testing there isn't any other way of doing it.

Are you not getting any error messages from the log at all or even any messages to indicate where the execution has got to?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pabloisback

Hi I could get log to the console window in QNX Momentix - when deploying direct to phone in dev mode.

I will try seeing if log appears to the IDE console window even when the bar was pushed on the phone from elsewhere... I had to change the program as we had some code to remove the logs when in live mode or built on the build machine.

When it has finished building with logging enabled I will let you know what happened, thanks so much...

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

Your welcome and it should work at least it does for me.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pabloisback

I tried putting on the app from a fresh build on the server.

First time click icon, page is the security permissions for the app, dialog says "you can visit security settings to change at any time..."

Click Ok, screen is black for half a second then app disappears.

Second time, click icon, screen goes black for half a second before app disappears and you are back on the icon screen.

Nothing showed in my Console window in Momentix. I had to put phone in Dev mode to allow the push app to device.

I am trying again with more definite logs in the main.cpp just to make sure...

Please use plain text.