Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Playbook Emulator 2.0 Resolution

When doing some testing for the blackberry tablet offer, I ran my application on the playbook 2.0 vmware emulator. Things looked fine and everything fit on the screen, which was surprising because the same images just barely fit on my 10.1" Samsung Galaxy tablet.

I investigated a bit further and it appears that while the playbook has a resolution of 1024x600, the emulator/simulator has a higher resolution. I tested by creating an application with an image exactly 1024px x 600px. When it launched in the emulator, it didn't take up the entire screen, which seems to suggest that the emulator resolution is higher than 1024 x 600.

So, I guess my question is:

1) Are my findings correct, or did I do something wrong?

2) Was this intentional?

3) Is it well known that the emulator and playbook are different resolutions? Are developers supposed to change it?

I'm just a little frustrated because I had an application denied due to scaling issues, which weren't present in my emulator testing.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Playbook Emulator 2.0 Resolution

They should be the same.  What type of application have you created (Native, AIR, Android or WebWorks)?  What version of BlackBerry PlayBook simulator are you using?  Can you post an example that reproduces the scaling issue you are seeing?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor

It was an Android application. Not sure on the version of the simulator, I'll have to check when I get home. I do have a screenshot somewhere showing a 1024x600 pixel image not taking up the full space on the playbook emulator. I'll post that when I get home.

Thanks for the reply.

My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks.  Along with the screenshot can you please post a code snippet that shows how you are displaying the image?  Thanks!

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor

Here is the screenshot I was talking about.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f114/Gophermofur/emulatorScreenshot.png

The generate button is actually taking up a little bit of the height, so the pink square would technically be a bit higher if it was docked to the top of the screen, but the space taken up by the button is pretty marginal. I think the image is clear enough to illustrate my point.

I'll double check the code snippit when I get home, but it was very close to the following:

<FrameLayout

android:id="testImageSizeFL",

android:layout_width="fill_parent",

android:layout_height="fill_parent">

<ImageView

android:layout_width="1024px",

android:layout_height="600px"

android:src="@drawable/1024ImageTest" />

</FrameLayout>

Is that enough information? Let me know if there is any other information you need from me. I forgot about the PB emulator version. I'll get that to you sometime today.

Thanks.

Contributor

The BB emulator version i was using is the one still available here: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/tool

2.0.0-7109-201201041944

My Carrier: AT&T

Has the resolution issue been resolved, and if so, how?