Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Antonio144
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 8 GB
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Playbook simulator - graphical issues

Hello. 

I have a problem with playbook simulator. 

This is a video of booting up the simulator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3aekXJc-uM

As you can see the UI is not showing correctly. In safe mode everything works.

Tried on a second computer same thing. 

Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

MORE INFO:

Log:  http://pastebin.com/C4bhvkXG

Vmware workstation ver: 7.1.4 build-385536

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Dual Core Intel Pentium P6000 

Ram  4GB

Please use plain text.
Contributor
g_neus
My Device: Z10, Torch 9800, PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook simulator - graphical issues

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.  Also (not shown in the video) my simulator will not display the IP Address.  Clicking on the icon beside the clock seems to only change the screen colour and NOT display the IP address.  Is there someway to fix this??

My info:

VMware Player version: 4.0.0 build-471780

Host OS version: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit  (Build 7600) 6.1.7600

Core i3

4GB RAM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click 'Like' if this was helpful, and mark it as a solution if it has solved your problem.
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Do your video cards support OpenGL 2.0? Are you using the latest drivers?  We recommend a GeForce 8800 GT or later or an ATI Radeon HD 2600 or later.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

[ Edited ]

It's graphic card problem. I have laptop with integrated Intel GM45 and doesn't work. Even safe mode doesn't work, simulator is not usable.

It's explained here

Can I use the simulator if I don't have the correct graphics card?
Safe mode was added to the simulator to support users who do not have a video card that is compatible with VMware. If you do not have a supported graphics card, you can click the simulator before it boots and select BB10DevAlphaSafe as your screen type to continue without supported graphics. While in safe mode, the simulator uses a software implementation of OpenGL ES 1.0/1.1. Any applications that need a software implementation of GLES 2.0 API's will not be able to launch in safe mode. Safe mode can be used for Flash, Android, and Web apps. Safe mode cannot be used for Cascades apps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
g_neus

Thanks a lot both of you for the clarification.

@MSOHM - will RIM be looking at releasing a simulator that doesn't require a higher-end graphics card similar to the simulators of the BB Handheld Devices??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click 'Like' if this was helpful, and mark it as a solution if it has solved your problem.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
g_neus

Realized I forgot to answer MSOHM's question. My graphics card is an Intel HD graphics card. According to other forums, it seems that my graphics card does support OpenGL.
If the simulator won't run, then what are my options??

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

The PlayBook itself makes use of OpenGL, so avoiding that in the simulator means it works less like the real device.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.  I've seen where driver upgrades have fixed issues.

If you are going to BlackBerry 10 Jam you could get yourself a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha.  The only other obvious options are a new video card or real BlackBerry PlayBook to test on.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Contributor
g_neus

Hi MSOHM, my video card drivers are up to date(I checked yesterday).
I do have an actual playbook....so I can test on it directly.
Thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

I assume that you're using laptop with intel hd graphics with oem drivers (provided by laptop manufacturer). Try to update your driver to original, intel one. OEM drivers are not always updated, like mine issued by fujitsu in 2009. Updated it and now all BB simulators(.7971,1.358, BB10 Alpha) that previously didn't worked, now work without problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
g_neus

Hi - tried updating the drivers by using the ones from Intel (non-oem), and they won't install. I get an error "the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer." and I am forced to exit setup. I am in a bit of a jam with this...because the last time the OEM drivers were updated was in 2010. Question now is how do I test apps I create, but on my Playbook - as this seems like the only solution??

Please use plain text.