Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Regular Contributor
Utumno
My Device: Torch

Rant about the simulators

[ Edited ]

I've got the newest simulators of the 9930, 9810 and 9850. They all:

- cannot be closed cleanly ( you press the 'X', wait 2-3 minutes, Error Report pops up saying the the Sim crashed ) . That is if the Eclipse environment is running, if I close it, the sim will exit immediately

- only sometimes I am able to actually re-deploy an app in a running sim, but very often it would just refuse to load it or crash

- take 3-5 minutes to boot

- I have a strong impression that sometimes multiple sims are running concurrently and stepping on each other's toes, with only one visible and several others in limbo

- here';s the best part: several times I've seen the Sim bring the system ( WinXP SP3 ) to such a crawl that even Ctrl-Alt-Del would take ~1min to show the Task Manager. And I saw this on 2 independent machines.

- I cannot use my laptop with integrated Intel graphics card for development, because Blackberry demands support for OpenGL 2.1 and the Intel 965 graphics doesn't have that. Again, Android and Nokia happily run 3D apps in the very same laptop.

How can we develop anything given this sorry state of affairs?  Nokia sims are better ( also dog slow, but crash less, can be closed cleanly and are able to run 3D on Intel 965 ) and don't even get me started about  Android or iOS - whole different league...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JamesWalters
My Device: Developer / Tester

Re: Rant about the simulators

Using simulators in development and test is never a complete replacement for using physical devices, but simulators should be able to go some way in assisting development teams before moving to working with physical devices. Well, that's what I thought until I used a wide range of BB simulators for OS 5, 6 and 7 devices.

The BB simulators are so unstable and hampered by poor implementation and design decisions that even in the cases where we can employ them I doubt their behviour so much that I still want to retest the same scenarios on the physical devices.

I hear your pain.

Please use plain text.