Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
MatthewGeomax
My Device: Developer - BB10 Dev B
My Carrier: Rogers

Reducing debugging startup time on device

I'm currently setup with a Cascades app over wifi to my Dev AlphaB (10.1.0.1483). I've noticed that as the project grows, the time to hit the "startup" breakpoint while debugging has gone from a few seconds to well over a minute. My project hasn't grown dramatically in size (<10 c++ utility classes, 10 qml assets). My arm executable is sitting at just under 2MB for the debug build. Once started, the debugging and performance seem fine.

Is their anything I can do to speed up debugging time?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Reducing debugging startup time on device

Look at your Run/Debug configurations and click on the Upload tab.  Make sure the option to "Only upload files that have changed and delete old files" is checked.  This is much quicker than deploying the entire bar file.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
MatthewGeomax

The configurations are set as such, and I don't think it's upload related. The application has started (splash screen is shown), it just hangs seemingly forever while the debugger is attaching and getting to the first breakpoint

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Have you tried connecting over USB instead?  That should reduce the time for debug initialization a lot.

If you need to use WiFi the other option would be to try a Run As for most testing and just use Debug As when you need to track down a problem.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
MatthewGeomax

It reduces it slightly, but we are talking 5+ minutes to 3+ minutes. This is still a massive time for an application to debug especially under rapid code development. For QML editing, it doesn't do any variable checking or highlighting so a simple mistyped variable name can take 10+ minutes to fix even before the functionality can be verified.

Please use plain text.