If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Developer
piragath
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Releasing New Version

Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

piragath wrote:

Mark, this is not about the initial release. This is about releasing subsequent releases. I get that we could code the app to handle both newer and old versions of our server so it works on both but it would really be nice to time the release at the same time.  

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting the client be coded to handle different server versions, but rather that the server be coded to handle different client versions, since I presume you have control over when a new version of the server code goes live, and also since as I mentioned you may have a transition period where the latest server is getting requests from both the latest and previous versions of the client, depending on how quickly people upgrade their client.

Obviously it's just a general suggestion, since I don't know anything about your architecture.

And, none of my comments above are to suggest that this should be the workaround and that BB World shouldn't add the desired functionality to let the developer decide the go-live time for app updates.

It's just that even if you had that control, I would guess that multiple versions of the client would interact w/the latest server even if for a short time.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
piragath
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

That is correct. We are doing exactly as you mentioned. And thanks for your support in requesting BB to allow developers the freedom to release new versions after their approval. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Furthermore, I would like it if we could synchronize our screen caps and app descriptions with new release approval. As it stands, there is a separate approval process for images/description and for release approval. The former tends to happen quickly, the latter not so much. This makes it impossible to ensure the user downloads the same app version the description and screen caps are describing.

We should be able to specify a "release bundle" so that a release and its decription/images all go live at the same time.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

+1

It should be obvious that this is the way it should have worked from the beginning.

The status quo is willfully negligent of the end user being presented with an incoherent

experience that reflects poorly on both the platform and on developers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

BTW as a workaround (and again, not to excuse the broken status quo), I've done this:

1) Write up two versions of the app description copy, one that has all of the descriptions of new features/bugfixes/etc in a separate "Coming in the next release" section, and a second, final one that describes the updated version of the app.

2) Make a "Coming in the next release" graphic overlay image layer, and make a batch of screenshots for the new version both with and without the graphic overlay.  (I did this manually in Gimp for the one time I did it, but you could probably automate creating the overlayed images w/ImageMagick.)

3) Once the new version of the app is uploaded and in the app review queue at BB World, upload the transitional versions of app description and screenshots.  When the new app version is approved/released, upload the final app description and screenshots and remove any obsolete screenshots.

Please use plain text.