Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Signing app for tablet, failed to find signing keys

I wonder if this somehow relates to using the administrator account.  Could you try using an "user" account (that has admin privileges)?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

I tried with another user account which has the administrator rights but it didn't change anything: the keys are still created at C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Research In Motion and then the packager fails to find them.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

So it seems that there was a mix between the languages of the path. The packager eventually made it to find the keys when I pasted them at C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Administrator/Local Settings/Application Data/Research In Motion

I had tried all in English, and all in German but not a mix of the two...

Thanks for following up with the solution.  I'll pass this information along to our development team.

Mark Sohm

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve II (8530)
My Carrier: Verizon

MSohm,

This virtual path approach doesn't make life easier when developing on machines under enterprise control. In my case the IT department at my organization remaps this location to a network share for easy access throughout the enterprise. Unfortunate byproduct of this is that I while the keys can be created bbwp cannot access the required path.

Why can't bbwp for tablet pick up the keys from the bin directory as is the case with the smartphone bbwp? Similar to the German case above there is no easy fix and I can safely bet that IT will not change their policies anytime soon.

Please advise if  a build with more flexible sig key location support is possible.

The keys were moved out of the bin directory into user space because of the way Windows Vista/7 with UAC lock down the Program Files directory.  Trying to write to the Program Files directory causes issues in many configurations.

I recommend reporting this use case via Issue Tracker (link in my sig), which we can then escalate to the development team.  Please provide as much detail as possible and example directories if possible.

Mark Sohm

New Contributor

ok, will try to be verbose.
New Contributor

btw, seems that while avoiding program files for installs and read/write actions is a good idea, it would probably be even better to default the whole install process to a simpler path structure c:\RIM\BBWP, C:RIM\BBWPTab or something. If you're trying to provide coverage over so many MSFT OS flavours it seems to be the only simple way to get the job done at install time. I'm gonna try out a win8 version first unless you don't think UNC resolution will work from the bbwp app itself. I don't think too many devs would complain about a short path structure at the expense of a bit of mess on the HD. For those with partitions they already know to reset install locs.