Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
Kai001
My Device: Not Specified

Simulator License Issues

Hi,

I have no idea where to ask this question, and could not find a proper way to contact Blackberry about it. You see, I would like to develop apps for the upcoming BB10. However I do not have one of the alpha devices, so I must use the simulator only. However, the simulator requires VMWare Player, which gives me a clear message at the top stating that it is not for commercial use. How can I test my app on BB10 without an alpha device and without having to purchase VMWare Player? If I could get an official response that would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Kai

Please use plain text.
Developer
drPetr007
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Simulator License Issues

You can use it for free.

VMware Player is free for personal non-commercial use. VMware Player is available for commercial use as part of VMware Fusion Professional . VMware Fusion Professional provides a commercial license that can be used with VMware Fusion on the Mac or with VMware Player on Windows or Linux. VMware Support and Subscription offerings are available for VMware Fusion Professional.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/faqs.html

Dev Alpha solves a few questions but adds a bigger more to be solved that are not in the field of how to develop apps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
girish_bb10
My Device: BB 10 Alpha
My Carrier: Blackberry

Hi. I that for above link it provide free VMWare for Windows and linux. I am Mac 10.6.8 user, is there any free tool to run simulator. Please reply as soon as possible
Please use plain text.
Developer
SergGr
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/faqs.html says that

"VMware Player is free for personal non-commercial use."

Am I right that this means that if I'm a software developer for a commercial for profit ISV, my company has to buy some VMWare license in order to let me use BB10 simulator?

There is also a VMWare Player EULA page http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/player40.html but it seems to be a piece of BS even on the scale of usual EULAs. Mostly I can understand from reading EULA if I can use some software for free or not but not from this one.

Does anyone understand whether we (developers) need VMWare licenses for simulators or not? Or does everyone prefers to be in the grey area by just using VMWare Player without any licenses?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your issue is solved, set "Solution" mark at the relevant post.
Don't hesitate to Kudos people whose posts helped you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

As I recall, this discussion came up over two years ago when the PlayBook simulator first came out.

Some of us investigated and found posts by authorized VMware personnel (I vaguely recall it was a VP, maybe?) which made it clear (to me, at the time) that this sort of use was not a problem in spite of that "non-commercial" clause.

I mentally ticked this off my list of things to worry about ever since then. Sorry I can't provide any reference off-hand, though I'm certain there's an old thread in the PlayBook forum (previously called Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR or some such thing) where we discussed this and reached our conclusions.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.