Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Simulator not starting

Having two devices I rarely use the BB Simulators however having just recently tried to start them after upgrading to Windows 8.1 the simulator fails to start with the error message.

Error while powering on: Internal error.

I've tried a total uninstall and reinstall of VMware player version 5, 6.0 and 6.01 and tried earlier simulators as well all with the same result. So by conclusion it looks like the Windows 8.1 upgrade has changed something.

Searching on this error message was no help, so has anyone else experienced this and fixed it or have some ideas on what it could be?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Simulator not starting

See my reply below to a similar thread, for one possible cause to investigate:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Blackberry-10-simulator-Issues/m-p/273...

Developer
Developer

Thanks for the reply my initial thought was something wrong with the virtulisation but after checking the BIOS and trying your suggestion everything seems in order.

I'm now leaning more towards the graphics drivers as turning of the 3d acceleration at least gets past that error but the simulator then stops at trying to start the screen with resource errors.

I have a switchable graphics system and perhaps the 8.1 update has screwed this up somehow.

What a pain.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer

Thanks for the clarification, and I'll be interested to know the eventual resolution, as I'm intending to move my BB dev to a Win8.1 Pro machine in the coming weeks.  

That step will depend however on whether I can get all the virt tech for various platforms (Hyper-V, VMware, VirtualBox) working w/out stepping on each other.

Developer

BTW, HP ProBook, by any chance?  That's my current Win8.1 rig.  It has switchable graphics as well.  

I have not used it much yet but it runs hot, and googling for fixes yields mixed messages on graphics driver updates, BIOS updates, etc.

Developer

No Lenovo ThinkPad E520.

It's such a pain when this happens, might have to wait for Lenovo to catch up with the graphics drivers, it took them months to get the Window 8 ones out and then months after that to come out with the switchable part.

As I said I'm lucky to have two devices to work on and I do have another PC that I can probably get the simulator working on if I have to but I'd rather have it all working in my developer environment.

Developer

Looking at some of the links you provided it may possibly be the Windows Phone development install which has messed this up but I installed that months ago and everything was okay initially.

Might try a post on the VMware forums.

Thanks again.

Developer

I have WP8 SDK installed on my Win8.1 laptop, and IIRC I still had to manually enable Hyper-V.  However, I did not have any other virt tech on there prior to installing WP8 SDK and enabling Hyper-V, so I don't have a good clean read on whether/how VMware might or might not have been working fine beforehand.

Developer

Oh, and I forgot to list HAXM for Android dev.  If you come across any good how-to's showing a good clean way to have all of Hyper-V, HAXM, VMware, and VirtualBox all working on the same machine w/out interfering w/each other, that would be of interest.  I don't mind needing to have a 2nd boot option for with/without Hyper-V ... I just don't want to get into some three stooges poke-you-in-the-eyes skit where there's no clean happy coexistence.