Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Developer
uncleop
My Device: Not Specified

Simulator traffic over HTTPS and wireshark: need private key

I would like to know how I can extract the private key that is used by the simulator/MDS when I send TLS data (HTTPS, specifically) from my app to a web site.

Reason: if I have the private key for HTTPS traffic, I can feed it to wireshark and debug problems more easily.  The specific reason I am pursuing this is that my app needs secure transmission.  When I test using live phones or the simulator, it works perfectly with HTTP.  But when I test using HTTPS, the simulator regularly (but "randomly") fails - often with "TLSv1   Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Bad Record MAC" but sometimes just by closing the connection.  The real phone also fails, but not quite as often or with the same variety of buffer sizes.

I have found /Program Files/Research In Motion/BlackBerry JDE 4.6.0/MDS/webserver/webserver.keystore and it is my guess that is where the private key lives.  If it is not, though, where is the key?  And in either case, how do I get to it?

For wireshark's needs I must have a ".pem" version of the private key.  I have access to the web server's private key, so I can see half of the SSL Stream.  I need the BlackBerry key in order to see the other half and to try to determine why HTTPS is not robust.

If there is a HowTo for creating my own private key that the simulator will use that would be an acceptable alternative.

Thanks!

-Del

Please use plain text.