Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
hazemfarahat
My Device: Not Specified

Timeout error when using OTA installation

I am trying to make an OTA for a large application 4MB,, and I made all the instructions in  http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800646/What_Is... , I am using IIS server, the problem is that I receive A time out error when i try to download the app files, on the other hand if i tried to download for the second time,, the application normally installs.

Does anybody knows a solution to this issue? 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Timeout error when using OTA installation

Do you receive the timeout error when trying to access the JAD file or when installing the application?  What browser are you using (BlackBerry Browser, Internet Browser, Hotspot Browser or WAP Browser)?  You can check this by going to Options, Advanced Options, Browser on your BlackBerry smartphone.

Are you installing over an HTTP or HTTPS connection?  Are you testing on a real device or using the simulator?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hazemfarahat

Thanks MSohm For replying,,

I receive the error when accessing the jad file.

Using the Blackberry browser.

Installing over HTTP

Testing on real device(Bold 9000)

Thanks again for replying

Please use plain text.
MSohm

I don't think this relates to your deployment, but one of the servers in between your BlackBerry Smartphone and the JAD file.  To help narrow down which one can you:

1.  Try to access content on another server.  Do you receive any timeouts?  If so it could be a BlackBerry Smartphone or BlackBerry Enterprise Server issue.

2.  Try to access another file on the same server.  If the issue only occurs here it is likely an issue with the IIS server you are using for hosting your JAD file.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
knight9

We are having SOME users have troubles downloading our application when connect via BES. Our application is also fairly large at around 2MB. 

Some users have no issues when download the app via BES others get this timeout. 

Our jad and cod files fully accessible to anyone else  on the internet.

Is there any setting in the BES server that may be limiting access to the larger application sizes?

Please use plain text.
MSohm

Sporadic timeouts can be a result of network congestion on either the wireless network the user is connected to or the Internet connection being used by their BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

You can narrow this down by having the user attempt to install the application while connected using serial bypass.  This will bypass the wireless network and go straight to their BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

They could also try switching from the BlackBerry Browser (uses BES) to the Internet Browser (uses BIS).  This can be configured by going to Options, Advanced Options, Browser.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.