Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
dbigham
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA
Accepted Solution

USB IP address not working

My understanding is that when you plug in a PlayBook or a Dev Alpha device into your PC via USB, you should be able to access it via:

But I can't "ping" that IP address.

And when I go to: Gear Icon -> About -> Network, it doesn't show a USB IP address. (as an article I found via Google suggested)

I don't have BlackBerry Desktop 7.1 installed, not sure if that matters. (I signed up for the Beta Zone today but can't find a link for BB Desktop 7.1 in the beta zone, so if anyone knows that answer to where to grab that, it would also be helpful to know)

I'd really like to figure this out so that I don't always have to deploy via Wi-Fi, which for examlple, doesn't work on hotel Wi-Fi since I'm assuming they run their router in isolation mode for security reasons.

Thanks!

Daniel

Please use plain text.
Developer
NICK_312HOLDINGS
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: USB IP address not working

I had an issue as well.  Installing Desktop Software 7 solved the issue.  Not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

I was replying to a guy using linux who had a similar problem. The usb address is indeed 169.xxx.xxx.xxx  but randomly varies every connection. It is not usually the one you stated. Try using the tablet network name instead of the ip address, mine is (PLAYBOOK-24B6)  and is in settings,  storage and sharing, network identification.  In the same location you will find the actual ip address for Usb. You must set storage and sharing to "connect to windows" and not auto detect.

If I got any of that wrong, it's in that area of settings you need to play around.

My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Good to hear.