Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

Unique ID for every copy of an app?

Hi,

atm I'm thinking about how to sell generative art on the playbook. The most common way to increase the value is to limit the copies. But to validate that I need a way to give every copy a unique number like 23/100 or something like that.

My first thought was, maybe RIM has already given me the option to do something like this.

There are four ways I can imagine, which are both very complicated.

First way:

I recompile the app 100x with a new number, and upload it to the app world. I think RIM won't let me do so because they would have 100x the same app in the app world.

Second way

I use the in app payment system to sell a serial number. Would that be possible? Is this a stable solution, even if the buyers playbook is offline?

Third way

the client registers somewhere at a website and the app checks if the playbook is connected with the registration data. so the buyer needs an internet connection to view the artwork.

Forth way

I start to sell playbooks with the preinstalled app, like buy an artwork an you get an playbook for free. Much work for me, better experience for the client.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

lrrm

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Unique ID for every copy of an app?

I don't think the first way would work.  Even if you could get 100 similar copies of the app it would be very difficult (and unfriendly to users) to limit each one to a single sale.

Options 2-4 are possible.  This would be a great use of the in app payment system.

Number 4 wouldn't be great for users who already have a PlayBook (which could be repeat customers).

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker