Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
torpesco
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: Wind Mobile
Accepted Solution

Vendor portal - change app's license type to free?

Until I add a key feature to my app, I would like to make it free. Is there some way I can change the app's license type to allow this? It seems to be the one option I can't change on the product info page in the BB World vendor portal.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Vendor portal - change app's license type to free?

We don't recommend changing the application from free to paid.  The reason being users who downloaded it while it was free will be asked to purchase it if they attempt to upgrade or re-install.

If you do wish to do this, you can contact BlackBerry World Vendor Support and request it.  It can't be done in the vendor portal.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
torpesco
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Thanks for your response, Mark.

I left out some detail. My hope was to make the application free and then when I get the new functionality ready, make it available via in-app purchase. The trick would be finding a way to give that SKU without charge to those who paid previously. Do you know if that's something that's possible? Looking through the documentation on the license models, I would guess not, since keys are stored in BlackBerry World and in the dynamic case are only requested after the purchase step has been made...

My only thought would be to include something in my next update that saves a flag in the app settings to not make the 'requestExistingPurchases' call for those users. Brittle, since uninstalling/reinstalling would lose the info.

Either that, or register the device with my own web service, but I don't want the app to require the device ID permission flag. I also don't want to set up a secure web service just to do that.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

To avoid having to set up your own server and track this you could have 2 versions (products) of the application in BlackBerry World.  A free version you make available now, and a freemium version with digital goods you make available later.  This would mean that you'd have to eventually pull the free version once you move to a paid model.  That would prevent new users from downloading the free version but existing users who installed it could re-install. 

This assumes that you'll stop providing updates for the free version once the paid version is out.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.