Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Developer
naomipunkclan
My Device: none
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

blackberry device for testing Apps

hi,

Can any forum members advise on how to go about testing Apps on actual hardware. I just purchased a "sim free" Pearl 9105 from amazon. But I was not paying attention... it is actually from a 3rd party seller, and they sent an unlocked device with orange logo etc. It has problems with WiFi connection, no App store application etc. I also had an expectation to upgrade it to OS 6. This has not worked out after spending much time following advised methods, I gave up. As it is not supplied as advertised I am returning it. But only just read the returns policy and it is not favourable. My mistake perhaps, I though it was direct from Amazon which would have been fairer.

Which leaves me with an odd impression. What are developers officially meant to do ? Rather than be messed around, is there a standard way to get a development device available with the required os version etc ready to get going. I hate the waste of time with all this and would rather be sitting here testing and writing software, and above all else contributing to the platform. Anyway, maybe with feedback from other developers it will all become clear. 

I actually though that upgrading this to os 6 would be a piece of cake, and solve any of these problems, but it looks now more like I am joining hackers rather than bone fide developers, and thats not what I want to do :-)

please help

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
avish
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: blackberry device for testing Apps

Hi, I am also a new developer just starting to find few new things, but I can give certain helpful suggestions for you:

Firstly,

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer by using a USB cable.
  2. In Package Explorer view, right-click a BlackBerry® application project.
  3. Click BlackBerry -> Load Project on Device.

About your other problems, if that has really got wifi problem, you can get it repaired from someone or if it is purchased within last 14 days you can return it as per internet shopping policy. 

Lastly, for BB 9105 Pearl already OS6 is available from carriers and from BB website. Please follow the link:

http://uk.blackberry.com/support/software/blackberry6.jsp#!updatebb6 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
naomipunkclan
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Re: blackberry device for testing Apps

hi Avish

I have accepted your very helpful response as a solution, though I have not had a chance to try the upgrade via the link given, as I have already returned the device and obtained a refund.

I have a new curve 9300 on its way to me now, so looking forwards to using that for development when it arrives

Please use plain text.