Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
pmulkins
My Carrier: Telus

10K program and available API's

Hello everyone, 

I attended BlackBerry Developer Program Webcast, "10k Developer Commitment" this morning and a few concerns came up for us webworks developers.  There was two area of concerns that I wanted cleared up.  The first was the "gestures and flows".  I am using bbui.js for most of my development and wanted to know if the "context menus" are sufficient. The second area was the "Service Integration"; I see a lot of support for cascades and C++, but no API's for webworks.  I am specifically referring to NFC, but unsure of BBM.  I also wonder if calendar and email support would be considered.  The calendar support I hope will be out soon (see NOV on tracker), and I could just use a mailto: work around I found in the forums previously.  Anyone have any insight into solutions with webworks?  I am mainly looking for the "Share" functionality that the cascades crew has to be implemented into my app (see Share on Dev Alpha's in many apps)

My main concern is the deadlines of the 10k commitment and the release of the API's and our ability to integrate them before the deadline...

Thanks!

Phil

Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: 10K program and available API's

The BBM API is/will be available, but for lots of other APIs like NFC, we're supposed to pool our resources together if we want to avoid having dozens of extensions written for the same missing API.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pmulkins

So, what does that mean? :Wacko:

Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

I guess that means starting a thread for each missing extension, trying to get others interested into the development and then sharing the work to be done.

I think RIM didn't intend on making Webworks a 2nd class citizen on BB10, but they just have too much to do, so only basic APIs (PIM, BBM, Push, etc.) are made available

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
erikjohnzon
My Carrier: Virgin

Hey Guys, I don't know everything but here is what I do know:

Your bang on with the BBM/PIM etc. You can check out the BBM docs here: http://blackberry-webworks.github.com/WebWorks-API-Docs/WebWorks-API-Docs-next-BB10/view/blackberry.... We are also actively working on PIM. There is more information coming as per our release schedule.

For the share you are mentioning. What is the specific functionality you are looking for? I can tell you that for the next release you will be able to invoke a share list to share things over BBM, Facebook, Twitter etc. You can follow the developments here, we pushed it off for a couple weeks but it is coming soon https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues/303

As for 10k release schedule you can read Ken's blog: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/10/blackberry-10-webworks-sdk-program/

I hope that cleared some things up.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
erikjohnzon
My Carrier: Virgin

Mind the period in the above link, here it is again: http://blackberry-webworks.github.com/WebWorks-API-Docs/WebWorks-API-Docs-next-BB10/view/blackberry....

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Carrier: Bell

I am working with a group of community developers to organize our efforts creating any native extensions or features in bbUI.js. We are always looking for more interested people. You can see our dashboard of projects up here: 

http://blackberry.github.com/Community/projects/Project_Dashboard.html

And, the Github repositories contain issue lists with the features that we are working on:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/issues?labels=Request%2CBB10&page=1&state=open

https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js/issues?labels=Feature&state=open

If there is an API that you need, you can send me a message (email, twitter, github are best) and I'll review it. I'm working closely with the WebWorks team to sort API requests into ones that they should do and ones that the community can take on. 

Tim Windsor

twindsor@rim.com

@timothywindsor

github.com/timwindsor

Tim Windsor
Application Development Consultant
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pmulkins

Thanks Tim, 

My main concern is the "Service Integration" requirement for the BB10 10K program.  From the webcasts this week, I am a little confused as what falls under this category.  An obvious solution would be to implement the "Share" function currently found ony the BB10 Dev Alpha A (see Browser - "Share Page"=  "BBM", "BBM Group", "Tag").  If this is the kind of API you are refereeing to then I will certainly see you on github.  

Thanks for your support,

Phil

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Carrier: Bell

I'm going to review the requirements and see if we can make it a lot more defined for WebWorks. Ken did say that WebWorks devs have more time due to the APIs and needing to repackage with the next SDK release.

That Share feature was written (mostly) by my colleague Chad, and then incorporated into the platform. You will see it in the new SDK. The devs I've been working with are doing an image scaling extension, zip/unzip, and microphone recording. We're planning on doing barcode scanning next month most likely. We did an LED and Compass extension as well, but the WebWorks team is going to include that in the SDK soon anyway.

Tim Windsor
Application Development Consultant
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pmulkins

I took a look at the API's some great work there! 

Re: Webworks and API's

That would be great.  My only concern then is the "limited" budget of the 10K program. As was described, "only" $10,000,000 allocated, and once all is used up then the program is over.  If the webworks devs are late to the game due to limited APIs that are required to meet the program, I dont see how this is fair to have the same requirements...

Just my two cents, and I realize this isnt your area, but...

Regards,

Phil

Please use plain text.