Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
mdhogan
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

8320 Simulator running 4.2.2.161 won't connect to MDS simulator 4.1.4

Hi -

I just installed the 4.2.2.161 8320 device simulator and can't seem to connect to the network via the browser.  I'm running the MDS 4.1.4 simulator.  I have several other simulators installed, and they can all connect just fine when I run them.  When I try from here, it sits there for awhil, and then it times out with the message "Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service. Please try again later. If this problem persists please contact your administrator."

One odd thing I noticed is that I don't see the "arrows" flashing in the top right corner of the simulated device screen, and I don't see any records showing up in the MDS Simulator window. 

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 8320 Simulator running 4.2.2.161 won't connect to MDS simulator 4.1.4

Those simulators should work fine together.  Do you have any local firewall (Windows or other) that could be blocking network communication between the 2 simulators?
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mdhogan

Windows Firewall is running on this machine, but I see an exception listed for this particular simulator (as well as all of the other ones that are working properly here). 

I noticed I'm having this same issue with this particular device simulator on another PC also.  Is there any particular setting I need to tweak on the simulated device or in the simulator config before it will work?

Thanks,

Mike

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

There shouldn't be anything required to configure the BlackBerry Simulator with the MDS Simulator. 

What BlackBerry Simulator versions are working for you?  Are they also 4.2.2.x or some other version?  Does the MDS Simulator window stay open while you are trying to browse?  Does the BlackBerry Simulator show that it is in coverage (show coverage bars, not an X)?

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
mdhogan

Managed to get the 4.2.2.161(8320) simulator working on the PC with MDS 4.1.4.  The only thing I did was close it, install the 4.2.2.163(8310) simulator, try it (it worked), then run the 4.2.2.161(8320) simulator again.  It just started working.  (Hopefully it won't just stop working again.)

It still won't work on another PC with MDS 4.1.0 but I assume that's just an MDS version issue. 

Mike

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

You are correct on your final point.  The version 4.1.0 MDS Simulator does not support a BlackBerry Simulator running handheld software 4.2.2.x.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jaltschuler

I am also having difficulty connecting to the web using the device simulators and MDS.

I am using the 4.1.4 MDS simulator and the recent simulators for the 9000 (4.6.0.150) and the 9530 (4.7.0.41).  I am confused by your comment about compatibility and would appreciate some help in getting this working.

Is there anythign i have to change in the config file of the MDS to make this work?  I saw a pretty vague comment in one of the docs saying you needed to add a fully qualified computer name to make this work, although it didn't say where or to what parameter or give any example.

Thanks,

Jon 

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Can you elaborate on what is not working?  Does the MDS Simulator window stay open?  Do you see activity in it when you try to browse?  Are you getting an error in the BlackBerry Simulator?  If so, what is it?

The note you are referring to pertains to accessing the PC the BlackBerry Simulator is running on.  You need to use your PC name or IP address and not localhost or 127.0.0.1.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jaltschuler

Thank you for your response!

The command line MDS window does NOT stay open.  I have to assume that all of your follow on questions i can't answer until i get this working.  Any way to determine what is causing this to fail?

I have upated the MDS config file with my local ip address (192.168.1.103) but this didn't seem to help.  Is there somewhere else that this needs to change?

I appreciate your help as this is an important part of our development.

Jon 

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Please see the following link.

Support - BlackBerry Mobile Data Service Simulator does not launch
Article Number: DB-00054

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800792/801079/Support...

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.