Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

A free Torch if you create a Sencha Touch app: Who is going for it?

So there's another 'free device for an app' program going on where you'll get a BB Torch if you create a Sencha Touch app.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/03/sencha-touch/

I'm kind of on the fence here. I'm currently working on my third PlayBook app (getting the free PlayBook REALLY motivated me to do more, yay!).

The main screen (screenshot here) is UI framework agnostic but this app contains quite a bunch of extra screens so I could use either JQuery Mobile or Sencha Touch.

There seems to be quite a learning curve involved when using Sencha compared to JQ mobile so I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth using it in order to get a Torch. The risk however is being the 11th submitter and not getting anything.

Anyone else trying to make this decision? Kind of wondering how many people are considering trying for this second free device offer.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Re: A free Torch if you create a Sencha Touch app: Who is going for it?

[ Edited ]

No one can make that decision but you...besides in the time you wait for a decision, you should be able to pack it up using Sencha and atleast give it a chance.. Its better to try than to not :smileyhappy:

I already know 5 people who have submitted a Sencha based app...if you submit it in the next 30mins you may have a chance :smileyhappy: ha ha ha ...just kidding 

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Here's another thread i started in the other forum: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Yet-another-offer-Free-BlackBerry...

btw..this is the 3rd free offer... there was a free offer for a BB style for the first 50 guys submitting a Webworks app...

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

The whole 'race' thing totally turns me off here. I'm not gonna go for it. The app I'm building is anything but 'quick and dirty'. It's a kick **bleep** app (I think so anyway) and it needs time to get it right so that's the path I'm going to follow with this one. Earning the free PlayBook is what triggered me to go on developing apps so RIM's strategy is definitely working here. At least it is with me.

The '10 devices' thing is only going to result in hordes of people rushing out a quick tip calculator app (or something even simpler) in order to 'win the race' so I'm opting out of this one even though I'd sure like to have a Torch to partner with my PlayBook.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.