Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
sroj
My Device: Developer
Accepted Solution

Access to NFC Secure Element in upcoming BB10 handsets and platform

Hi everyone,

Since straight Java development isn't going to be supported on BB10 (Am I right?), at least not without using the Android Java Runtime (which I don't want to use), I'd like to know if there will be official support and an official API from RIM for accesing and writing on the Secure Element of the upcoming BB10 handsets. I'm a developer who's considering the BB10 platform for developing an application which will need read/write operations on the Secure Element. Would that be possible? Would I be needing special permissions and/or keys from RIM?

Thank you very much for your answers! Apparently there's not much documentation on the subject so far.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
jomurray
My Device: Z30

Re: Access to NFC Secure Element in upcoming BB10 handsets and platform

Hi,

You'll find the answer here I think:

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/beta/reference/com.qnx.doc.nfc/topic/manual/nfc_lib_nfc_conc...  

the header files that relate specifically to teh SE are nfc_se_access.h and nfc_se_transaction.h.

These APIs are present in the recent Dev Alpha upgrade and in the NDK that matches that release.

John (@jcmrim)

---------------------------------------
Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Found a bug? Report it here
Follow me on Twitter @jcmrim
Developer
Developer
LBP
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Hi.

For WebWorks I think you need to wait until the template to create extensions for the native APIs is done by RIM.

Mark this thread for the future informations or bump it up to top from time to time ;-)

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
New Contributor
sroj

Thanks John. That's what I needed.
New Contributor
sroj

John,

With those API's that you mentioned (on NDK Beta 2):

1. Would I be able to develop and test my application using RIM's embedded SE on the upcoming BB10 handsets?

2. Would I be needing some kind of approval from RIM, for reading/writing the embedded SE?

3. Are those API's high level enough for accessing any kind of SE (i.e. embedded SE, UICC SE, SD card SE)?

I'm trying to develop a proof-of-concept payment application, and, ideally, I would like to store sensitive cardholder data on the embedded SE.

Please if you can give me some guidance in that regard, I'd really appreciate it.

Developer
Developer
LBP
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

sroj wrote:

John,

With those API's that you mentioned (on NDK Beta 2):

1. Would I be able to develop and test my application using RIM's embedded SE on the upcoming BB10 handsets?

2. Would I be needing some kind of approval from RIM, for reading/writing the embedded SE?

3. Are those API's high level enough for accessing any kind of SE (i.e. embedded SE, UICC SE, SD card SE)?

I'm trying to develop a proof-of-concept payment application, and, ideally, I would like to store sensitive cardholder data on the embedded SE.

Please if you can give me some guidance in that regard, I'd really appreciate it.

There is already a working example using the Native SDK + Cascades: https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Community-Samples/tree/master/NfcTool

Since we are in the WebWorks forum I mentioned the post discussing the issue that we need to wait until those APIs accessable via WebWorks. See the link, I think this is what you really looking for as a starting point. If you have a BB10 Dev Alpha, I think you can try the included .bar file example-app there.

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.