Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Accesskey - Assign Shortcut Keys for Frequently used links in mobile pages

Im working on a wap project to develop mobile web pages. I have some issues in assigning shortcut keys for frequently used links. For instance, where the user will have a list of links to navigate. If the user hits "1" of the keypad, the BB browser should take the user to "page1.htm" directly. Say keypress of '2' BB browser should lead the user to page2.htm and so on.

This is how i have coded for the html page but doesn't seem to be working.

<a accesskey="1" href="page1.htm">Page 01</a>

How do i assign shortcut key for webpages designed specifically for BB? I also want to test the assesskey functionality in BB simulator. My targetted versions are BB8830,BB8820 and storm. IS THAT POSSIBLE ?

Thanks in advance.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Accesskey - Assign Shortcut Keys for Frequently used links in mobile pages

hello,

the accesskey is ignored in old browsers (4.3 and prior for example).
check :
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/1369/BlackBerry_Browser_Version_4.3_Content_Developer_Guid...

page 105 : accesskeys are ignored.

you can find the same document for other versions (4.5, 4.6, 4.7).

My advice : accesskeys are useful for devices that do not have an easy way of navigating. For all other devices :
the user can scroll across the page
the user can do a search (I do that on facebook to go directly to the "notifications" link, then just click.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Thanks Xandrex. Is there any work around for this functionality? Becos 70% of our users still have 8830/8820 and we would like to provide some feature like accesskey for quick navigation between pages with single click. Any suggestions. Appreciate your help.

Message Edited by gurudesignz on 03-26-2009 07:04 AM
Message Edited by gurudesignz on 03-26-2009 07:05 AM
Message Edited by gurudesignz on 03-26-2009 07:06 AM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

here is an article that advocates Canadian goverment websites should not use accesskeys :
http://www.wats.ca/show.php?contentid=32

I dont know many browsers for smartphone that support accesskeys. There is Internet Explorer for Pocket PC and... well, nothing else.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: