Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

J4y
Contributor
J4y
My Device: Z10 Dev Edition, Playbook, every BB in-between
My Carrier:

Ad networks working for BlackBerry 10 - Webworks apps?

[ Edited ]

Hey guys, 

Finding an ad network has turned into an over complicated task, Am I completly missing something?

For non-sdk we should just be able to enter their js code, and include the domain in config.xml - access uri? (Note - Im using jQueryMobile -BB 10 theme framework)

As for ad networks - I'm trying to use Leadboltads as they say it works with non-sdk apps.

.. Leadboltads do not display ads in my app - Support has been responsive however - I have 1 ticket open & still have gotten no where, 'being escalated  after back & forth debug for 5 days.. Is anyone using leadbolt successfully in webworks?

Admob - doesn't support BlackBerry as a platform - ugh. 

BBDev -  please make this easier for devs on BB10 - when will Ad services for BB10/webworks be ready?

what are you guys using for ad networks? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
avdas
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Ad networks working for BlackBerry 10 - Webworks apps?

I am on the same boat as you are. I opened a ticket with leadbolt as well, and I have not found anything that works. I tried inMobi as well, couldn't get it to work.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi all, an official Ad SDK is still in the works however I've been working on an unofficial port of the existing BBOS SDK over to BB10. I'm hoping to have a sample up in Github this/next week depending how the process goes. If you don't hear from me by end of week in this thread, please do follow-up as a reminder to me and I'll provide an update.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
avdas
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik,

This is a friendly reminder about your post above.

Thanks a bunch :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
J4y
Contributor
J4y
My Carrier:

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik,

That is great your developing that on your time - and we love what you your team has done thus far, but honestly its a little frustrating that certain things on the BB10 webworks  platform for developers are overlooked, not having an ad
service out the gate is very disheartening for what the new platform can be for developers. Our app dowloads are  growing every day & could be generating revenue for us and BB..

I've spent time & investigated 5+ third-party "ad networks", none so far have 'support' for BB10/webworks apps, A leading third party ad provider (non-sdk)  for example took over 2 weeks to get a test ad on my webworks app as they 'didn't recognize the new BB10 device'. Now its up, doesn't look like any advertisers have targeted the platform as ads are not showing up,.. annoying. BB needs to step this up and service their developers for all platforms.

Next -  what about analytics? Where is this service for BB10/webworks? I've tried a few other third parties and again, the platforms are very limited  to what can be tracked and by no means useful data from my experience.

Were rooting hard for BB10 to be successful, but basic services like ads an analytics need to be here for webworks sooner than later..

thanks and I hope this covers how other developers feel (click like! :smileyhappy:)

Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

I'm with you on the ads SDK. I was expecting that to be available shortly after the launch of the PlayBook, when brokers started to drop BlackBerry from their SDKs, but nothing happened. It's really silly to not have had it available for the launch of BB10, but maybe they can't find advertisers apart from BB World devs? In my first tries, I used "mobile web" ads, but it's hardly relevant to a BB user. Even worse when they're redirected to Apple's store... It could be a similar situation with the current ads they have running. There is little point in redirecting a Z10 owner to the BB world page of a BBOS 7 game...

Hopefully, this will get sorted soon.

Regarding analytics, have you tried:

- Count.ly? They have a SDK for BB10 on GitHub

- Piwik? You would have to host the app yourself, but you would then own the data without having to share it for free. Here is the guide on how to use it in your apps.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
oros

Hello all,

I appreciate the reminder. An update on the Ad SDK front:

I've hit some issues with the SDK I am using; it allows for developers to pass various flags to the request for fine-tuning. The one I am having issues with is minimum and maximum dimensions; the SDK appears to be doing something odd with those values. I've reached out to the Ad team to get their input. In the meantime, I will be implementing a client-side check for this functionality. From there, I am hoping to have opensource/Github approval by end of week, if not sooner.

For reference, this is the service I am leveraging:

http://developer.moceanmobile.com/Mocean_Ad_Request_API

The end result will resemble BBOS usage:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/apis/blackberry.advertising.banner.html

So you will simply call advertising.banner and supply the zoneIddivId, and optional parameters to populate a div with an ad.

Regarding the timeline of an Ad SDK, I completely understand the concerns. We're doing our best to get these services to our developers ASAP but there are resourcing and prioritization challenges we face. This is a primary driver for taking this opensource approach on.

The other issue is Ad fill rate; a lot of SDKs simply have not updated to target BB10. Our internal Advertising team is working with these providers to help improve that, but it will be a bit more time before we see the same volume of ads available for BB10 as we did on the legacy platform. Once we're up in Github, it will be a nice place for us to concentrate feedback and requests so that we can address the important aspects.

I do appreciate the further patience, and stay tuned. I've set a reminder to post an update on Wednesday (unless I have one sooner.) :-)

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
oros

Update

The implementation appears to be finished. We're still working to see what we can do for the actual fill-rate of the ads. For those unfamiliar, fill-rate is referring to how often valid ads are actually returned. A bit more testing and I'll have a better idea on this front.

I'm submitting the implementation for technical and open source review. Hoping to share via Github this week still.

Please use plain text.
J4y
Contributor
J4y
My Carrier:

[ Edited ]

Erik. wow this is impressive work, thank you, will implement as soon as avail!

cheers

Please use plain text.
J4y
Contributor
J4y
My Carrier:

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik, when can we expect a real solution for an ad network for BB10 webworks? Hard to believe, this is still not available  and we have to ask for updates.. can't stress enough how BB needs basic services like this available.. thanks..

Please use plain text.