Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
avdas
My Device: Playbook

Re: Ad networks working for BlackBerry 10 - Webworks apps?

Thanks very much, looks good, will try it out very soon :smileyhappy:

J4y
Contributor
J4y
My Device: Z10 Dev Edition, Playbook, every BB in-between

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik, I followed the implementation and example on github....

Ripple is displaying this error in config.xml

rim : permit value is not recognized as being valid it was

read _cellular_data

I copied community.deviceinfo folder into the webworks/framework/ext directory.

config.xml has:

<rim : permissions>
<rim : permit>read_cellular_data</rim : permit>
</rim : permissions>

Please advise.

thank you

BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi J4y, you can ignore that warning/error. It's not a standard permission yet but we're looking to get it recognized. It is required though in order for the community API to function.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Contributor
avdas

Just to confirm, I only need to provide the zone id correct? I think it's working, I can see in the console that there is some error, no ad available, but I don't see anything on the ad service portal, it should show some requests. I turned off the testing flag. May be the ad service is not updated near real time. 

J4y
Contributor
J4y

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik

Re: ripple - that makes sense.

Having issue here "no ads available" when using my zoneId.  I setup my app and zone, and selected all categories to be safe. Tried with both test 0/1.

Here is the console output:

http://ads.mocean.mobi/ad?zone=myzoneId&key=5&type=2&libver=1.0.0.10&envtype=ww&udid=43A8C489&countr... Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.261 Mobile Safari/537.10+

Object {error: "No ads available"}

Now, if replace myZoneId (digit) with yours in the example from github -(15562)  the mocean logo appears in my browser, but nothing when I build the app and load it on my device..

Any ideas?

Contributor
avdas

I have not been able to make it work in the ripple either. On the device at least I don't get the javascript error. But I don't see any ad either, just my default banner image. 

I have seen the adservices logging my requests, hopefully I'll see some served ad soon. 

oros

[ Edited ]

Hi all, regarding the fill-rate (i.e. when does an ad actually get shown), it's still fairly low. The community implementation works through the same service as BBOS so technically the fill-rate should be very similar.

I can't guarantee the details as the Mocean Ad Request service is external to BlackBerry, but here's what I've gathered so far. Mocean will require roughly one thousand requests before it will consider displaying an ad. When the ad request is made, the request goes to Mocean, who then relay that request to all of their various ad providers. Those ad providers decide whether or not they want to display an ad; each time an ad is displayed, they need to make a payment. Their criteria may include:

1) How many unique locations ad requests are coming from for a particular zone id; and

2) The volume of requests coming in.

Basically, an application with wider-spread usage will have a higher chance  of displaying ads since it appears more "popular". If just one app instance is requesting ads, there will be very little fill rate. Because of this, think of the advertising service as another potential revenue stream, but don't count on it as your primary source of revenue.

Again, the above is the best I could gather regarding the process, but the information is not confirmed. Our services teams are working on increasing the fill-rate across all platforms for our official ad SDK. Because this API used the same web service, I am expecting to see positive results as well once those fill-rates increase. If not, we can investigate more deeply as to what is missing in order to mimic that same request.

In the meantime, I would advise expecting to rely on the "default" ad image / URL / HTML to be served.

EDIT: On an error of no ads being available, does the default ad not show up either? The intent was that it should.

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
J4y
Contributor
J4y

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik, 

Thanks for the insight into mOcean, good to know and we would not find this out on our own I'm sure.

Regarding my issue of no ads -

In Ripple -

the default mOcean logo does not appear when using my ZoneID, it does show my fallback image/Url. 

Device (Z10)

-no ads/fallback 

Remote Web Inspector on the page calling advertising.js - indicates this 

"ReferenceError: Can't find variable: blackberry "

(does not refer to any .js file/line reference)

oros

@J4y: Just to confirm, have you included the webworks.js script?

<script type="text/javascript" src="local:///chrome/webworks.js"></script>

Also, are you waiting for the webworksready event before calling the API? Ripple creates its own instance of the blackberry object which is why it would work there, if it's not working on the device the above would seem the most likely culprit.

J4y
Contributor
J4y

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik, nice quick reply.

I did not include webworks.js as you indicated.  Including that alleviates the blackberry issue above and the mOcean test logo appears. (test 1) If set to test to 0 my fallback url/image is displayed too.

So based on what you indicated about mOcean calls, what I have in place is now functioning (no way to view real ads until app is installed by large user base?)

thank you

Jay