Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
AniqueRehman93
My Device: Blackberry 9800 & Blackberry Playbook OS 2.1

Advise Please RE: App Development

Hi there, I'm currently a new developer who's trying out new apps for the Blackberry eco system. I currently find that WebWorks is one the best platforms there is (since my main field would be web design). However, I need some advise! I'm currently building an app which connects to the Internet to load a specific WebWorks inspired website that Ofcourse would be unique to the application - which I've managed to do.

My problem is that I think the user/consumer should have some sort of offline application data that will atleast leave the user with some form of experience that's similar to my website. This is somewhere that I'm stuck with and really could do with some advise.

A few solutions that I potentially thought of were:-

1. Local - creating a duplicate of that site but build directly into the WebWorks application; however this would mean the app wouldn't be abe to pull the updates from the online source.
  2. Online - I ignore this issue and focus on developing the app with the intention of always having an online connection; but thereby limiting my application to those who are near a Internet connection all time.

I welcome your feedback, and hope you can help! 

Many Thanks and Warm Wishes!

Anique Rehman
-- New App Developer; WebWorks
Please use plain text.
Developer
laurentC
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: Advise Please RE: App Development

Hi,

You are planning to make a website and you also want a PlayBook app presenting datas from this website ?
Your PlayBook can communicate with your website using JSON to retrieve what you want to show in your webworks app. But you need the internet connection and it's not really a problem.

But maybe the easiest is to make your PlayBook app a shortcut to your website. Unless your PlayBook app needs to offer a better user experience ?

Laurent

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AniqueRehman93
My Device: Blackberry 9800 & Blackberry Playbook OS 2.1

Hi Laurent,

It is essentially a framed application. The top frame being the header,footer and some local pages, the data like I said is pulled from a online source. Is there any more documentation on JSON? That would be familiar to this. Thank you for your reply though! :smileyhappy:
Anique Rehman
-- New App Developer; WebWorks
Please use plain text.
Developer
laurentC
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Try to google JSONP.

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Please use plain text.
New Contributor