Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: All WebWorks apps stopped working on PlayBook!?

loof - can you link to where you received feedback from RIM?  Did you post an issue in Github or JIRA, or spoke to someone via email / Twitter?

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
loof
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

astanley, we contacted BlackBerry Technical Support and opened a ticket there.
It looks like the issue is fixed and the fix will be available in the next PlayBook update.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Good to know, thanks for posting back.  

fyi: I just tried reproducing with some other WebWorks apps (ones that don't use jQuery) and was not able to get the same erroneous behavior as you. For apps that had completely offline content, they loaded just fine.  For those that made calls for remote web resources, they behaved as expected (runtime error if the app wasn't programmed to handle that condition, or displayed a 'not online' message).

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Developer
razorek
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE
My Carrier: T-Mobile

astanley,

I've also noticed that some WebWorks apps do load and start on my PlayBook. "The Marco unit converter" and "Lemma" for example.

I've made some research with my project and found out, that it started to load fine when I stripped the number of js files that I referenced in the <head> section.

If I had 34 references js files the app didn't load. I trimmed it to only 4 and the app started normally.

Then I set up a link to a second page which had all those 34 js files in the head. I saw in the console log that 5 js files were not loded with an error (GET ("fie:///some_js_file"): Netowork Unavailable).

These js files were mostly the last files in the head section with an exception of one which was somewhere in the middle. Some of the js files were: swipemenu.js (RIM sample), alice.js (made by RIM), alice.plugins.cheshire.js (made by RIM) none of those js files make a remote request upon load.

In conclusion: there is some issue with WebWorks in OS 2.0.668 but it doesn't always show up.

Possibly a workaround today would be to combine multiple js files into one.

Loof, and how many js files do you reference in your head section?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
loof
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Hi razorek,

We have 20 js references, so this is enough to cause the issue.

Anyway, we are upgrading our playbooks to latest beta software (2.1.0.840) and the application works fine there. The app is developed for internal use only, so we can upgrade in order to temporarily resolve the issue.
Please use plain text.
Developer
razorek
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Just an  update in case anyone is trying the suggested workaround: it doesn't work.

I've joined a few js and ended up with 12 js files. And although all js files loaded after the change and my app finally started, I started to receive errors for image files: (GET ("fie:///some_image_file"): Netowork Unavailable).

Please use plain text.