Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Amsterdam - a review (please add to this)

[ Edited ]

Personally I didn't find a single session that I attended adding to both my knowledge and questions.

[Edit] To clear up any misunderstandings - every single session I attended was worth going to. I'm sorry that the above can be read negatively, this was not my intent. The sessions wkthout exception were informanitive and illuminating

I did several Labs, extensions gave me a broad and worthwhile understanding of how to write one (you need to know some C as well though). The Optimization Lab was similarly illuminating for anyone who cares about screen refresh rates and suchlike

The international markketing session on Tuesday was somewhat livened by a Q&A I commenced ending up with someone being really upset (a pro translator) - it was damned funny but they'll cut the good bits out of the transcript (rats - you had to be there... <g>)

Pixel is not a Pixel was very interesting as well - although not the answer I was looking for I saw how to make things happen from that one and I recommend any of you who missed it to go thru the slides when they get released.

Please tell us of any sessions we missed that were really worth attending so we can catch up with the subjects that are interesting to us.

Before this week BBM was the most boring thing in the world to me - now it's top of my todo list...

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Amsterdam - a review (please add to this)

Ugh wish i went :smileysad:

But just a minor typo in your first sentence -- I think you wanted to write:

Personally I didn't find a single session that I attended that didn't add to both my knowledge and questions.

People might get the wrong idea lol -- other than that well said -- glad you had fun! :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox

I went merely for knowledge so my statement was worded correctly

I now know how to write an extension (that was cool) and how to switch on GPU acceleration

It was worth it for that alone

I also got superb insights into marketing - BBM is REALLY worth adding to any product

There's loads more I could say - it was fun in a developer-way

I dunno what everyone else got out of it but know Phil got a similar experience to me

I'm gutted that I didn't bother with one session (I went to Marketing and started a word-fight) as the other session denegrated into another extensions session (Phil - point me @ the notes)

Well worth doing

I hope others have sessions I should check out the notes from

Anyone got to the Helicopter one (I was next door doing extensions). I'm reliably informed this was cool (for the JAM notes and emailed it to myself)

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
erikjohnzon
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Virgin

Funny I was caught by your first sentence as well. It seems to imply you didn't learn anything :smileyhappy:. Glad you did though.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox

I see what you mean :smileysad:

Can I state categorically thay I leaned loads of stuff

That sentance can be take negitively now I re-read it - I've read it many times now and see how easy to misunderstand it is

Soz

It was brilliant - I guess I'll have to edit #1

Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

I think it's the sort of event you go to to either network, test things with on-site support or learn a lot in a short amount of time if you were a little behind due to other constraints.

So, if you follow the forums and blogs and stay up to date with the documentation, you may not get a lot of value out of attending the sessions, except if they include lots of tips and good Q&A. But these things should make it into the official documentation for all to benefit, because I'm sure most people won't watch all the webcasts.

When you raise issues, things won't change instantenously and I'm curious to see if some of them will make it into the tracker.

I'm glad I went and got to talk to some of BlackBerry's staff and partners. It's always useful to get some insights as to where things are going.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.