Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
dalv
My Device: Tablet OS
My Carrier: MTN

App World Error: Package ID is required

When attempting to add a file into a File Bundle the following message pops up in the "Add File" dialog:

File bundle (app[1].bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle.

The app.bar has sucessfully been packaged, signed and ran on tablet as well.

Any ideas

Please use plain text.
New Developer
naomipunkclan
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Re: App World Error: Package ID is required

hi 

I had a similar error "Package ID already is in use..." and some other server based errors when submitting.

Solution guided by another thread on here was to add an id attribute in the config.xml widget tag:

<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"
        xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets"
        version="2.0.0.0"
        id="uniquieID">

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dalv

Was really hopefull, thanks....

same error

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dalv

Found my error and solution:

The error came about because I've signed the new bar files with new keys (upgraded the computer, and didn't know at the time how to backup/restore the barsigner.db, barsigner.csk and sigtool.p12/author.p12).

And it looks like the App World checks if the upgrades are signed with the same key (sort of reasonable, since App Name is not a strong identifier for an app. Althoug I would prefer if it identified the app by app name/author id or keys)

The solution at this time seems to create completely new product, of course the drawback would be that the old users would not get the new upgrades. So It would be nice if we had functionality to 'gift' a product to a client that has another product.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Legogrisen
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: offline

[ Edited ]

I have a similar situation - I have restored my .csk and .db files to  new computer and have generated a new .p12 file. However, Blackberry's stated in their documentation that this is OK, so I hope this is not the problem.

When I run listmanifest on my bar file, it reports a different Package-Id than the one I specified like this in the blackberry-tablet.xml file (which I copy-pasted from an older bar file):

<qnx>
<author>xx</author>
<publisher>xx</publisher>
<authorId>xxx</authorId>
<packageId>gYABXXX-XXX_XX_XXXXXXX</packageId>
<category>core.media</category>
<buildId>351</buildId>
<platformVersion>2.0.0.0</platformVersion>
<asset path="icon.png">icon.png</asset>
</qnx>

I get an error when I try to use this value in <widget id> in the config.xml, probably because of the formatting...?

I seem to be able to upload new applications just fine, though, so I would say it's an ID mismatch.

This really needs to be resolved as there is a major usability issue that needs to be fixed for my paying users, so a new release doesn't seem realistic.

Any help appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fgoyti
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell Canada

I'm hitting the same issue.  Reformatted my PC, didn't backup the signing files, and now I cannot submit new updates.  This is awful.  Going to lose my current customers and reviews that were already posted if I have to release a completely new product!

Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites
My Carrier: Rogers

loll no u wont lose all ur customers :smileytongue:

Contact RIM (at one of the many accounts). They'll just delete ur package id in vendor portal. The only drawback is on your next app update, your users will have 2 icons on their home screen instead of 1 as the new updated app will not overwrite./ delete the old one. :smileyhappy:

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fgoyti
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Thanks for your input.  I have contacted them... hopefully they are able to do what you said!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
richie-agarwal
My Device: Playbook, Developer
My Carrier: --

[ Edited ]

Please use plain text.