Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: App doesn't fit to screen

Alright, after some testing, I can't produce sound in the Dev Alpha simulator using an <audio> tag, however I can't produce sound in any other manner either. I have a feeling this may not be an <audio> issue, but a simulator, or possibly VMWare, issue.

I've reached out to my team to see whether anyone has more insight into the exact nature of this, whether it is expected, or whether there is a workaround to enable sound.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
oros

Seems there is a known issue with Audio in the Dev Alpha simulator. At the root, this looks like a codec issue as some people have mentioned. You can find a little more information about this here:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-408

In short though, it appears that WAV is the go-to for Dev Alpha testing (or was in the previous release), I just ran a quick test with the WAV in the noted case but still didn't get sound. Seems like this may require intervention by the Simulator development teams.

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Something odd I notice is that both the simulator and a DevAlpha (1103) report exactly the same numbers and features using html5test.com

They have identical Audio support numbers and suchlike

I'll have a play in the morning (sleep time soon) to compare the results

It's quite likely that the sim don't do what a device does - as evidenced by the pre-launch PlayBook sim vs the ones we got

I'll get back to you after I test in a new thread (this one is abut screen sizes)

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
appcannon
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: None

Any new developments on the sound issues?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bulow
My Device: developer (playbook and bb10)
My Carrier: NA

So, I played around with compiling my games for Android.. It turns out I can only get acceptable framerates with a very limited number of active objects (On a real Gingerbread 2.3.3 device), meaning that this is probably not a good solution. When will an update fixing the canvas problems be out, so we can test for ourselves?

Please use plain text.
oros

Unfortunately no news on the sound issues. The root of the issue there is a licensing/legal issue regarding the inclusion of proprietary codecs in the distributed software. If it were must a matter of implementing codecs, I would expect a speedy resolution, unfortunately I don't have an exact timeline on when / if these codecs will be made available.

Regarding canvas issues, the Gold SDK/OS release is scheduled for tomorrow (Dec. 11th) and in my testing I've seen the major canvas issues resolved there. I am expecting to see the fixes present in the Gold release, however we will need to wait until that build is finalized and released tomorrow to confirm.

Please use plain text.