Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
andersonv1
My Device: Bold 9700 White
Accepted Solution

App must be signed to win playbook?

Hi,

I read this post.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/Code-sign-a-webworks-playbook-app/td-p/838599

According to that level 1 developer the app doesn't have to be signed to qualify a playbook offer.

However I got an email saying.

"BlackBerry App World Notification - File Release Denied "

"Please verify the new Release is signed"

That contradicts what the forumer said. Does that mean my app doesn't get tested further because it is not signed? Could someone verify this?

And it doesn't say if my app have bug/room for improvements whatsoever..

I went to get a signed key straight after that email and I have to wait up to 2 business days.

I am truly disappointed.

Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Passport/Z30//Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900

Re: App must be signed to win playbook?

even if the app is signed, its not guarantee you will win a playbook

New Developer
andersonv1

[ Edited ]

I know that. That's what I am saying, they should have given me a more helpful reply instead of saying "please verify your app is signed."!

I am just trying to point out that signing an app shouldnt be a requirement to get an app approved if that make sense. someone else did point out that it is not required to sign to get an app approved.

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

From what I understand your App must be signed.  The reason I say this, is because the intent of the app submision is to be placed into App World to be downloaded to a production PlayBook.   If it is accepted it will be placed into App World

Your app will only run on a PlayBook if it is signed and thus is a requirement for being accepted.

There may have been a point in the past when Code Signing was not yet availble where they were accepting submissions that were not signed during that time period.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
andersonv1

Thanks for the clarification. I think this should be mentioned somewhere in the FAQ to let developers know it is a must to code sign the apps. Maybe it is already mentioned but not that I know of.

Do you know if the testers at RIM have tested further if the app is not code signed?

Was hoping the testers would give a more helpful message for me to improve the app and improving my chances of getting a playbook!.

I've requested for a signed key and have to wait until monday-tuesday (2 business days) for a key. fingers crossed !

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

From what I understand they are testing on physical PlayBooks... so if the app is not signed they cannot load it onto a device to test it.  It just won't run.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
Alocaly
My Device: developer

I received a mail after submitting my application saying that the last step is to sign my application...

But I though I already had signed it !

Is it because the very same mail is send to everybody ?

How can I recognize that my application is signed ?

Thanks,