Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
biggerCC
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha

App rejected, but why?

I released a first beta of my app a couple of hours ago and I just got the mail that it was rejected.

Probably I should mention that at least the review process was quite fast: it took less than 2 working days.

My reviewer (who undersigned the mail with his full name, another nice fact), wrote:

I am testing your app on the BlackBerry Dev Alpha, the app doesn't appear properly on the device, it's too big on the screen, please fix the scaling issue.

(Ticket 647916, if anybody from staff wants to look into it)

It's nice and describes his problem. But that is where it get's interesting: I simply cannot reproduce the issue. I've spent quite some time with testing on my dev alpha and scaling wasn't a problem on any OS version.

Is the review team using different hard- or software? Probably. But the WebKit foundation should at least be the same, shouldn't it?

Here are some screenshots of my app running on my Dev Alpha taken from the exact same package I submitted to App World:

devalpha.png

Everything is scaled just right (for me). On the other hand: I do currently have an issue with GMaps crashing the whole app from time to time, but I guess that's a browser bug going to be fixed until BB10 release...

AND: Since the Dev Relations team is (seemingly) always looking for improvement ideas, here is one:

Please have your reviewers attaching one or more screenshots showing the problem that led to rejection. Thanks!

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
Developer
n_jay144
My Device: Z10 Red, PlayBook, DevAlpha C

Re: App rejected, but why?

I have the same problem. My app was rejected because:

"the app didn't appear properly on the device when on portrait mode it’s only showing a half on the screen and also on the landscape mode".

My app is intended to work only in portrait mode.

But there is no possibility to block rotation in configuration file like in PlayBook or BBOS by now.

This issue should be corrected ASAP by WebWorks DevTeam because each of my app ported from PlayBook to BB10 will be rejected in this way.

biggerCC:

1. Keep your device in portrait mode, open your app, minimize your app and rotate your device. What you see?

In my case app is completely distorted.

2. Keep your device in horizontal/landscape mode, like PlayBook and open your app, what you see?

In my case app is rotated, not scaled so it’s only showing a half on the screen.

Developer
biggerCC

Hey jay,

thanks for your comment.

Actually you can force BB10 to work in portrait mode only, the line in your config.xml is:

<rim:orientation mode="portrait" />

So, nothing happens if I rotate the device.

I was able to reproduce the bug you mentioned (rotate while app is minimized) and lots of stuff breaks then, but seriously: that's not my fault.

Even if I tried hard, I would cost me lots of (useless) CSS code to reproduce THIS: :Devil2:

IMG_00000007.png

- - -
Developer
n_jay144

This statement doesn't work on my BB10DevAlpha, and is not officially supported.

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/rim_orientation_element_1594186_11.html

"...that's not my fault"

Exactly. I mean, my app (and probably yours too) was rejected because of WebWorks sdk issue.

Developer
biggerCC

n_jay144 wrote:

This statement doesn't work on my BB10DevAlpha, and is not officially supported.

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/rim_orientation_element_1594186_11.html

Where does it say it's not supported? According to the icons it works on the PlayBook. According to the text it works on "smartphones" (very general).

But apart from the documentation: it just works fine for me (and did in the prior Dev Alpha OS versions)...

- - -
Developer
n_jay144

Where does it say it's not supported? According to the icons it works on the PlayBook. According to the text it works on "smartphones" (very general).

Check this:

and this:

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues/88

Developer
biggerCC

Hm, okay. Well that's a thing at the very foundation missing there then.

But anyhow: I'd really appreciate if somebody from RIM could check out what went wrong with my app review, since that was the initial reason for this post...

- - -
Contributor
Nolte
My Device: No Longer Using.

Based on the reviewer's comments, the above thread, and issues #88 and #108 (mentioned previously): It appears as though there is a bug in WebWorks that prevents CSS media queries from working to support multiple orientations and another that prevents orientation locking.

I am experiencing the same issue in my application and am waiting for the bug fix to be issued and a new SDK to be released before I'll be able to submit my app, apparently. 

Gave up on BlackBerry and delisted all apps.
Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

I've been wondering why I haven't had this problem, then I realized I'm in another camp.  I've been using bbui.js for my apps and it WILL NOT rotate.  Now I'm thinking bbui has been deliberately set to not rotate because of this.  Only Tim can answer that I guess.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
Developer
Developer
LBP
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

For the app rejection problem there was an entry in the github repo. They are aware of the problem and a fix is on its way with the next update as far as I understand Nukul posting it here: https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues/88#issuecomment-8395872

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.