Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Application Denied - your app is still exhibiting a white screen when run

[ Edited ]

Hey guys,

one of my apps just got approved and denied right after and they said I needed to correct this issue.

I'm not exactly sure what they're reffering to, I've loaded the signed app in the simulator and I see it perfectly

Here's the email I got from them, hoping someone can shed some light:

Dear App World Vendor,

Research In Motion is pleased to inform you that your product '...' is approved however will need to remain in 'Approved' state until the issue(s) below are

corrected. You will also receive a second email that will deny your release, please do not

be concerned as your app is still approved but pushed to our 'waiting on vendor' queue so

we can expedite your new release with the requested change(s) so it will be ready for our

BlackBerry PlayBook launch.

Item(s) that need attention:

-your app is still exhibiting a white screen when run.

Regards,

The BlackBerry App World™ Team 

I replied to them asking for some clarification but I know they usually take time to answer, was hoping I'd get a faster response from here

--
Bitbox
Developer

Re: your app is still exhibiting a white screen when run

ok so I did more testing and I think what they meant was that right after the default loading screen, there's a white screen that appears for a split second.

Not exactly sure how I can fix that...

Here's the content of my config file (I've replaced name, description and author with dummy text for now but it was submitted with the correct information)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets" xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets" version="1.0.0" rim:header="RIM-Widget:rim/widget">
  <name>App name</name>
  <description>My description</description>

<author rim:copyright="2011">Me</author>
  <feature id="blackberry.ui.event" version="1.0.0"/>

<icon src="icons/icon.png"/>

<access subdomains="true" uri="http://*.youtube.com"/>
  <access subdomains="true" uri="http://*.twitter.com"/>
  <content src="index.html"/>
</widget>

--
Bitbox
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

I have three apps of which two have been approved without any change requirements from the test house. All three show a brief flash of white before starting so I'd say that can't be the problem.

There's nothing I can think of that you could do anyway to prevent this. It's simply the app container that does this.

I can't help but think the feedback people get from the Test House is extremely poor. It's often impossible to tell what the hell one would need to do to fix the issues they find. I've seen more examples of it. I was really scared of what would happen to my own apps. I feared getting some cryptic denial message that I would not have a clue about. Luckily for me I got no such feedback. But I know a lot of others did.

It would be great if RIM could work on improving the test house feedback to be more useful to developers.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer

[ Edited ]

I completely agree with you, don't know how "your app is still exhibiting a white screen when run" is supposed to tell me what the problem is...

Does anyone know how I can contact them other than replying to blackberryappworldnotifications@rim.com? They never seem to answer any mail that goes there.

--
Bitbox
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Simulator

[ Edited ]

It looks like your app needs the internet - Could they be testing your app without internet access and it's hanging up on some code during load?  

(I too had the white screen, but it was a quick flash)

--------------------------------------
ABC Trace for BlackBerry PlayBook
Developer

well the entire app requires an internet connection to work, otherwise nothing really gets loaded except the main UI.

I'll try turning off my internet connection and run the app to see if it remains white.

--
Bitbox
Developer

just as I thought, the main UI loads fine and the animated loader just keeps spinning... so I really don't know what the issue could be...

I sent them a message via the Help menu in the Vendor portal, hoping to get a response soon!

--
Bitbox
Contributor

ok - post what you find out!  

just pulling at straws here - you could add some debugging pings to a public facing web site (i do this with my app) - it might help when they run it again since the feedback is vague.

try {
	// ping home
       $.ajax({
           type: "GET",
           url: "http://yoursite.com",
           data: "/ping/trace/" + pingdata.toString()
       });	
} catch (e) {
}
Developer

hey slondell,

Not exaclty sure I understand what the purpose of those pings are?

In my app I've already set up my ajax connections so that before they're sent there's a loader that appears, on complete the loader fades out.

I've also recently added a function to display an error if the connections timeout, would it be what your pings do?

--
Bitbox
Contributor

I would put the pings on the entry of each of your functions to ensure they are getting executed - or to see where it is getting bound up at.  

I'm not trying to trace the ajax connections to 3rd party sites, just the progress through the code.  Also to make sure you are getting in your code and that the framework is not causing the problem.

Of course a more accurate description would alleviate all of this!