Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: BB 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Application Menu (Swipe Down Menu) in Webworks for BB10.

Hi, 

I was trying to build an app menu (the menu that appears at the top when you swipe down on the BB10 screen) for my Webworks application. 

However I was not able to find anything that satisfies my need here https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js/wiki

In the Samples for BB10 I found this message under Swipe Menu here https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Samples/tree/master/swipemenu

"This sample is not really applicable for BB10. The swipe menu follows different guidelines than this and most applications should use the context menu instead."

However the BB UI Guidelines says that for generic application-wide functionalities, you need to put them into the Application menu. (Here Page 47 https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/files/design/bb10/UI_Guidelines_BlackBerry_10.pdf)

So now I am a bit confused. Is there a Webworks method to create an Application Menu for BB10? (I found documentations for older versions). Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks in Advance.

Prashanth 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Application Menu (Swipe Down Menu) in Webworks for BB10.

Hey!

There is no method built-in to WebWorks for creating an application menu beyond the swipedown event you can listen for. 

The bbUI.js one now follows the UI guidelines, I am curious what, if anything, you found lacking or if you just want the swipedown menu without everything else that bbUI.js brings?

rcb.

--
System Software Developer II - Enterprise R&D

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)
Contributor

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. 

I was working on an application built for BB10 using bbUI.js. We had a 'Settings' button on the Action bar in many screens. However the BB UI Guidelines say that such Application wide Actions need to be in the Application menu. (Page 47 here )

I was  trying to see if I could use something in bbUI.js to create the Application menu.  But I wasnt able to find anything. I saw "Screen Menu"  which looks similar, but that does not look to be the swipe down menu. 

So that was my Question. Is there anything in bbUI.js which can be used to create the Application Menu that the design Guidelines talk about? 

Gotcha - I see where the confusion is then :smileyhappy:

screen menu in bbUI.js = application menu.

It is a swipedown menu where you can place lesser used actions. It has a slightly different functionality on Playbook and a completely different functionality in BBOS but from your perspective it will do what you need it to for BB10

It is defined on a per screen basis at the moment (there is discussion about changes this, but nothing has been decided yet) but follows the BB10 UI/UX guidelines for the application menu. It now has the ability to pin items left and right so that you can get your help and settings menus in the correct locations.

Let me know if you need any other help with this.

rcb.

--

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)
Contributor

Thanks a lot. That worked for me.
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

"...but follows the BB10 UI/UX guidelines for the application menu"

It pushes the whole app down, dims the screen and makes the mask draggable? All at 60fps?
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.

Hey Olivier -

it does push the whole app down and dims the screen. It also won't trigger if the CCM or Tab Overflow are active. Allows you to specify a help and/or settings items (athough I realized after I pushed the update that they aren't being pushed to the extreme left and right, so I need to fix that).

It's missing the mask dragging, but as far as I know that isn't actually in the UI/UX guidelines, its a nice to have. If you have thoughts on making the mask draggable let me know. I definitely want to make that happen I just didn't have time in this update to sort it out. Should just require tracking touchmove and working with that to change positioning, not sure how much of a performance hit that will be.

I also haven't checked the FPS, I will check when I am next to my dev device again. The animations are using the GPU now so it should be close.

That all said it is much closer than it has been. Let me know if you notice anything else that isn't quite right.

rcb

--

@roryboy

Developer

That's great news :smileyhappy:.
Are you aware of any real-life implementations? In demos, there is usually a simple container to push down and things start to break down when you have a real app with lists, pictures, etc.

Also, it would be great if a component could be released for Sencha Touch. Last I checked, we couldn't implement the menu because pushing down the app looked awful on a Dev Alpha A.
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd

I haven't seen anyone using it yet, it is in the 0.9.6.x beta build of bbUI at the moment. I have it running in an app I am working on which has image lists, title bars, action bars and a bunch of other stuff. It should be in BB World next week, I'll let you know.

Not sure about Sencha Touch getting the support, I am not really in the loop on their release plans. I am going to try to make an updated swipedown menu example, time permitting, so that might be helpful for you to just have the menu support.

rcb.

--

@roryboy

Developer

Keep me posted about your app and the sample :smileyhappy:

The thing about Sencha Touch is that it's Open Source, so there could be a BlackBerry fork with BB10 components and fixes/patches if there are performance issues.
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd