Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
smccarthy
My Device: 9370

Application author does not match debug token author

Getting the App author doesn't match debug token author error, as seen below.

>blackberry-deploy -installApp -password xyz123-device 10.251.221.230 -package h:\html\webworks\hello\out\hello.bar
Info: Sending request: Install
Info: Action: Install
Info: File size: 3618419
Info: Installing ...
Info: Processing 3618419 bytes
actual_dname::
actual_id::
actual_version::
result::failure 500 Application author does not match debug token author.

I have been using Ripple to package and sign, and the command-line above to deploy to an actual tablet.

Thanks to pointers from the good folks in another forum, I have found the mismatch.  When building via Ripple emulator, the resulting .bar file has author and authorId set as "Sample Inc."  I don't remember setting this value, and walking through WebWorks installer again I didn't see where I would have entered this.  

MANIFEST.MF:
Package-Author: Sample Inc.
Package-Author-Id: testU2FtcGxlIEluYy4gICAgICA

blackberry-tablet.xml:

<publisher>Sample Inc.</publisher>

When I registered my debug token, I used the name  "Example International".  That was on the web form.

I found that if I manually update the application.bar file to make MANIFEST.MF and blackberry-tablet.xml match the debug token info, then I get a signature failure:

result::failure 500 air/blackberry-tablet.xml: SHA512 digest mismatch

So what's the best course of action?  Reregister for another debug token with a different name?  Find the place in my current installation (where??) that is packaging the author information and change it?

Where does WebWorks get the author info that it embeds in the .bar file's manifest.mf and blackberry-tablet.xml?  Is there any way to change it?

Retired
jeffheifetz
My Device: Bold

Re: Application author does not match debug token author

Hi smccarthy,

You can always make as many debug tokens as you want if you have the signing keys.

As per the author, did you have an author element in your config.xml?

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Retired
Tohman
My Device: Curve

You can't change manifest.mf file and other files as well in the bar package, because it breaks cryptographic hash.

To fix  the issue, after you generated debug token, edit bbwp.properties file located in Your Webworks SDK Location\bbwp\bin folder by entering the path to debug token:  (i.e. <debug_token>......debugtoken.bar</debug_token>).

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Contributor
smccarthy
My Device: 9370

I didn't have an <author> element in config.xml, as I was just following the Getting Started example.  But adding <author> element and rebuilding still results in the wrong Package-Author in MANIFEST.MF and <publisher> in blackberry-tablet.xml, and not surprisingly leads to the error message in the Subject line.

As a workaround, I can avoid the debug token scenario by creating a signed build. 

I'm not sure I undersand the statement about creating debug tokens if I have the signing keys.  As I understand the docs, you have to go through the web form request dance every time to create a new debug token, and any new token invalidates a previous token.  

In any case, changing the debug tokens is too late in the process - seems like a band-aid.  I need to understand where the whole author of Sample Inc. is coming from in the first place.

Developer
ryansweny
My Device: Z10

Could someone from RIM answer the original question.. ie where are these lines coming from and how do we fix them?

MANIFEST.MF:
Package-Author: Sample Inc.
Package-Author-Id: testU2FtcGxlIEluYy4gICAgICA

In my case I am not using Ripple, just the command line tools but I get the same error:

result::failure 881 application author does not match debug token author

Developer
ryansweny
My Device: Z10

Well I guess I can answer my own question. Edit bbwp/AirAppTemplates/src/blackberry-tablet.xml and add or edit these lines to match the 10 other times you have entered your COMPANY NAME by now:

<publisher>COMPANY NAME</publisher>
<author>COMPANY NAME</author>
<authorId>gYAAxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx</authorId>

authorId you have to find by opening up your newly created debug token bar file using a zip program and digging through the MANIFEST.MF file.

Developer
d_source
My Device: Not Specified

You may also be using an older version of BBWP and Adobe air. Nobody mentions this, but they should be updated on your PC as often as you can.

Developer
rorybarnes
My Device: Bold 9900

I was having this problem, and 

--
Rory (@roryboy)
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
eblade
My Device: PlayBook

This.  Adding the DebugToken to the bbwp.properties file solved the problem here. My guess is that it was packaging it without a debug token at all, considering that the size of my archive went up by 2k when i did that.

Developer
eblade
My Device: PlayBook

ack.. it only worked for one of my 2 apps. the other one is now giving me the same error. :smileysad: they both have the same author tags.