Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
rg_bb
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Avoiding re-compiling process works on Simulator, not on device

[ Edited ]

I have been following this tutorial - http://devblog.blackberry.com/2009/12/update-your-blackberry-widget-without-recompiling/ - in the hopes I can save time developing for Blackberry. I have found the simulators are generally unreliable - (webworks, internet, XP/Win7 support vary across simulators), but I have got my project working on a 9930 Simulator, which runs on an XP machine on my local network. The app retrieves HTML/JS etc from a WAMP server running on my Win 7 machine.

When I package and sign this application, and install on my BB device, I get an error message when I start the app -

"Access Denied. Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time".

I can access the app's source index.html in the device's browser and have successfully used a remote, public server on the web to host the app's content and then access this content from my device/webworks project.

Locally, I'm try to connect to 10.1.1.206:50000/bbtest/index.html to retrieve content - works via simulator, doesn't on the device. The only files I compile are config.xml and an icon folder. Everything else is obtained remotely and, going by the results from the Simulator, all the necessary permission/access statements in config.xml are correct.

Can a signed application not access resources with a private IP address? What is generating the error message? How do I get this testing environment working on the local network and on real BB devices?

If anyone can help I'd be very greatful.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rg_bb
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Avoiding re-compiling process works on Simulator, not on device

If anyone on here knows if the approach discussed above is possible, please leave a reply saying either yes or no. Then at least I'll know if I am wasting my time or not.

I'm wholly open to the idea that I might be doing something wrong, but if not, Blackberry should either update the tutorial or pull it from their website. Using the SD card is just as cumbersome as repeated re-compiling as, at least on my device/OS, the app and PC can't access the card simultaneously. The device has an option to enable Mass Storage, but not an option to disable - ejecting from PC does not solve the problem, the usb cable needs to be unplugged while the app is running. Using a public server, while an approach that technically works, is ultimately unsuitable as it leaves our source code open for the world to see. Ripple does not support some of the features we need, and is an inaccurate representation of how apps really look - as a beta product, is this really cornerstone of Blackberry's webworks/phonegap development environment?. The eclipse plug-in and simulators also seem unreliable, frequently crash and offer little in the way of useful debugging information.

It's almost as if Blackberry don't want people to develop for their phones.

OK, rant over. However, a fast, reliable development and testing environment is essential if the company I work for are going to continue developing for Blackberry. I really need some support. Thanks.

Please use plain text.