Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
deedubbu
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

BB 10 WebWorks Extension

Is there any documentation or examples on how to create custom JavaScript extensions backed by native code for the new BB 10 WebWorks SDK? My understanding is that extensions for BB 10 WebWorks will be written in native C/C++ code. However, looking at the existing BB 10 WebWorks SDK, all the implemented API contain only JavaScript code. Looks like the currently implemented API provide a JavaScript interface to interact with a server running on the phone which manages the native code extensions. I do not see any native code for those extensions in the current SDK so I'm assuming those implementations are built in to BB 10.

I would assume that a custom JavaScript extensions would somehow need to register its native code implmentation with that same server but it is not clear to me how this is done.  Is there any documentation or examples available for this yet?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB 10 WebWorks Extension

You are correct: with BB10, there will be a JavaScript interface that calls down into native code.  However we don't have this architecture in place for 3rd party developers yet, but its definitely coming.

Hold tight for updates, we'll make sure to communicate best practices and guidelines for BB10 + WebWorks extension development with the community once it is ready.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.