Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
cwong15
My Device: Not Specified

BB10 Dev Alpha simulator: screen too big

I'm trying to run the BB10 Dev Alpha simulator VM 10.0.9 on VMWare Player 5.0.1 on my Windows 7 box (Intel integrated video) with little success. My main problem is the display. Running it in the standard mode does not work: the video gets garbled. The browser app shows no output, so I guess a WebWorks application stands little chance of working. If I run it in the "safe" mode, the screen comes up fine but way too big to fit my monitor. The zoom commands -- both the controller.exe application and the telnet/ves-zoom command -- have no effect. So I have a simulator that is either unreadable or unusable. Am I out of luck?

Developer
ben1107
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Re: BB10 Dev Alpha simulator: screen too big

use ctrl - to reduce the screen size
Twitter: @IAmBenGiey | Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

Try my apps:
The Ultimate Currency Converter and T2G - BloGFeed
Developer
cwong15

Thanks for the suggestion, but that seems to have no effect.
Regular Contributor
Sonic63
My Device: playbook, storm, curve

If it's any help, I run the BB10 Dev Alpha simulator and Vmware player on a Windows 7 machine, it's slow but it works.

I have a couple of webworks apps that run ok in the simulator. 

Developer
ben1107
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Please use this www.virtualbox.org i have found it easier to configure than Work Station. if fails download Google Chrome and Ripple, install both using instructions on http://developer.blackberry.com

Apologies for the late response
Twitter: @IAmBenGiey | Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

Try my apps:
The Ultimate Currency Converter and T2G - BloGFeed
Developer
cwong15

Thanks for responding. I installed VirtualBox and used the OVF migrator to export the VM for VirtualBox. Unfortunately, the VM boot sequence freezes at the "[screen]" line regardless of whether I used regular or "safe" mode. 

I suspect there is some issue with graphics acceleration and my particular system. Another thread in these forums had a post by Daryl Martin saying that "VMWare does not play well with Intel integrated video cards", which caused problems with an earlier version of the simulator. That's what I have: an Intel i3 desktop with integrated graphics. I suppose I could sort of hobble along running the simulator in "safe" mode on VMWare Player and live with the inability to scale the window to fit my screen. It's better than nothing. 

Thanks again for trying to help.