Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 and 9810 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

BB10 nosleep / backlight timeout disable function/hack

I have a Playbook app which I am porting to BB10 (Webworks). My app is an alarm clock that is designed to stay running in the foreground with the display on (backlight/standby timeout disable), usually while plugged into a power source (so you don't deplete your device battery).

On the Playbook I used the following HACKS in order to get my app to keep the playbook awake indefinitely (over the 5 minute limit):

First I applied....   https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/Tablet/sleep

The other dirty trick is to have a HIDDEN <div> with a small video (can be blank) which is set on autoplay, so that it is playing indefinitely. Playbook is programmed NOT to go to sleep when there is a video playing, which is why you can watch Youtube videos longer than 5 minutes without the Playbook going to sleep.

SO MY QUESTION IS:

How do I disable sleep/standby/backlight timeout on the BB10 Dev Alpha device for my Webworks application?  

While in the foreground, I want my app to keep the backlight ON and running continuously (never pausing). I have alarms which are checked by comparing current time to alarm time. My app needs to be running in order to keep comparing times so it can trip the alarm.

Please, any help would be appreciated. Please email or contact me.

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB10 nosleep / backlight timeout disable function/hack

It's currently not possible. We have an open request for this capability here: 

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues/304

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead