Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BBM through WebWorks

Hi,

I am very excited about this new WebWorks platform. It seems like a very powerful way to write programs. What I'm wondering, however, is whether there is a way to send PIN messages to contacts? Is there a way to show to the user a list of his/her contacts, and then allow the program to send a message to them?

Thanks,

Berk

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BBM through WebWorks

The functionality you are describing can be provided through the use of the JavaScript objects available as features.  You can find a complete list of them here: Widget API Reference guide.

You can definitely use the PIM Api to retrieve contacts from the address book and display their info within your application.  There currently isn't an existing API for sending PIN messages.  You can send email and SMS.  This would be a great opportunity for a feature to be added to the Open Source Project, hosted on Github.  If anyone feels like creating an API for sending/receiving PIN messages, feel free to contribute to Github.

The native browser rendering engine supports the "pin:" scheme.  You should be able to add a hyperlink in your page that looks something like this "<a href='pin:123456a'>Send PIN</a>".  When the user clicks on it, it should invoke the messages application and pre-populate a new PIN message.

For more info on developer tools used with the BlackBerry WebWorks App Platform, please start here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/widgetsdk.jsp

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

... aaaaand I just realized I didn't respond to this question correctly :smileyvery-happy:

My mind immediately went to support for sending PIN messages using the messages application, rather than BlackBerry Messenger Integration.  I should have known better as I've had "PING!!! me baby" stuck in my head since DevCon ...

Stay tuned for BBM support with the BlackBerry WebWorks Application Platform.  As announced at DevCon2010, its coming, however hasn't been released yet.  Keep up-to-date with this service by registering for updates from the following page: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/blackberrymessenger/

Sincerely,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Contributor
My Device: 9300, 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have similar need to send PIN message in BB WebWorks app.

I write some workaround.

Check this link

http://aliirawan-wen.blogspot.com/2011/12/send-pin-message-in-blackberry-webworks.html

Hope it helps.

Until you spread your wings, You will have no idea how far you can fly
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: UTS

is it possible for the user recieving the message to reply to the message?