Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BBui.js sample app on Dev Alpha

I'm playing with the BBui.js sample app (the demo app with all the controls in a list menu) on a Dev Alpha device.

For some reason the controls are not responding to touch events properly. It's clear the touch is sensed because a border is displayed around the list menuitem when the item is touched, but even holding the item for several seconds does not generally result in an action.

The weird thing is that on a couple of occasions the item is block highlighted, and then will respond to touch and open the corresponding page. But only rarely has it worked, and on each occasion I cannot work out what is different.

Any ideas on why this may not be working on the Dev Alpha I have? Has anyone else had touch sensitivity issues with their apps or RIM samples? Or is there a way to adjust the sensitivity on the Dev Alpha? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

Re: BBui.js sample app on Dev Alpha

Further on the above issue.

I've discovered that if I tap quickly twice (or sometimes more), the items will respond. And that after they have responded once, they will often behave normally.

Perhaps it's the device that is the issue. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
stardomains

Is it plugged-in? I'm pretty sure I have noticed that the touchscreen can act funny/sensitive while it is charging.

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

Thanks for the tip. It was plugged in.

And it did make a difference when it was unplugged (a bit more consistent).

But I still need to tap quickly a variable number of times (usually two does it) before the touch is sensed. Occasionally once is enough but not usually.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rorybarnes
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

It has to do with the screen resolution of the dev alpha, it gets confused at the moment with bbUI thinking that a tap is actually a touch and drag.

I can't find the post where Tim Neil gives a good description of what is happening, but I know he is aware of it and trying to sort it out.
--
Rory (@roryboy)
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
DueNorth
My Device: Dev Alpha

I am encountering this issue.

So would it be safe for us to release app with this type of touch issue when using BBUI.js? I am assuming this bug would get fixed when it actually gets released.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10

touch sensitivity for onclick is not a bbUI specific issue.. The onclick event is simply not getting fired by the browser.  I've been working with the browser team to try and get this addressed.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
DueNorth
My Device: Dev Alpha

Thanks Tim, since "onClick" is used for all the buttons, I would hope it get resolved soon. I also hope that apps don't get penalized for this browser based issue.

Please use plain text.