If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

dazzo
My Device: 7100
My Carrier: vodafone

BES 5 and Widgets question

Hello,

Excuse the ignorance, but I have a question regarding developing widgets and running the latest BES server.

I have never had to touch BES or develop for blackberrys but now have to research into providing a solution for a client.

They have data in a MS SQL Server table that needs to be accessible to the phones. They do not want to install a separate web server(apache/IIS) to do this, but want a BB widget app (JS / HTML) and to leverage their existing bes server (5). The client side part i can find more than enough info on, it's how the BES server will be able to serve this data?

If someone can point me in the right direction, I can't seem to find any docs on it.

To sum up, i need to serve data from a SQL Server (2005) database to a widget on the phone, how do i do this within the BES environment?

Many thanks in advance.

Darren

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BES 5 and Widgets question

Hi Darren,

In order to integrate with the SQL database on the server you will need some kind of interface exposed.  Some versions of SQL server allow for a web services connection to execute SQL statements and return data as XML.  Other versions do not.

You will likely have to create an interface exposing the data to your widget.  Maybe an ASP.NET website returning JSON or XML in a RESTful manner.  SOAP tends to be a little heavy for wireless.

You could host your ASP.NET web service on the same machine as the BES if they are concerned about hardware costs, but it is recommended to keep your application logic on a separate machine.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.